First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
I'm not a metallurgist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night - it had to be a harmonic vibration that caused this to snap like this right? It looks like all the cut out pieces created too much of a weak area around the rigid bolt.

In hindsight what would you say the odds are that you over-torqued?
Well I am a metallurgist and I'd say fatigue crack propagating from a stress raiser in the stamping, aka sharp corner. Aluminum, especially cold rolled, or not properly heat treated is already brittle. Are you sure the hood was not putting pressure on the front?
Sponsored

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Nissan Frontier S 4x4
Blue locktit and minimal torque goes a long way with these covers.

OP
OP
Jacob

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
OP
OP
Jacob

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I am a metallurgist and I'd say fatigue crack propagating from a stress raiser in the stamping, aka sharp corner. Aluminum, especially cold rolled, or not properly heat treated is already brittle. Are you sure the hood was not putting pressure on the front?
Honestly this could be a cause. I have not seen if the hood goes up against the cover. I want to try to come up with a solution before I start reaching out to the company. Like use a few extra screws, two pieces of sheet steel, and perhaps some rubber or foam lining like someone suggested

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt., Grumpy Old Senior Citizen
Any kind of "warranty" on it ?
Have you contacted to company to see if they'll replace it ?

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Nissan Frontier S 4x4
Honestly this could be a cause. I have not seen if the hood goes up against the cover. I want to try to come up with a solution before I start reaching out to the company. Like use a few extra screws, two pieces of sheet steel, and perhaps some rubber or foam lining like someone suggested
Jb weld exhaust puddy works pretty damn good as long as you follow the directions.

Are you sure the cover seats in the brackets evenly?

For me I had issues with the bracket thats under the cowl area, the threaded hole doesn't line up 100% with the drilled hole of the cover so I left it somewhat loose to manipulate it during the install, but it does sit flush on 3 brackets.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Yeah that cover seems just flat, whereas the Ford cover is contoured to the engine ups and downs. SO I thought it looks like the front edge sits up and might hit the hood insulation. That would flex the cover at that corner when you are beating the crap out of the 2.3 turbo, under heavy acceleration or just sitting there revving the engine... the thrust would cause flexing of the sheet metal. That leads to cyclic fatigue and failure/cracking. Again, just 14 years of colege and my 2 cents.
1705116549439.png

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Well better late than never. I told a few members awhile back I’d post updates on the aftermarket engine cover and well…… it’s already broken…. From just sitting in the engine bay…. Yeah…..

silver lining it definitely helped keep water away from the plugs.

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1412.jpeg
Maybe JB Weld fender washers on top of each bolt hole to reinforce.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
From the pic - I am thinking it needs to have a rubber washer below and above each mounting point.
Then only tighten to snug.
Reason to allow for metal expansion and contraction- the rubber washer will absorb this.
As mounted in the pic - cover gets hot and expands and it had nowhere to flex at the mount point and thus cracked

OP
OP
Jacob

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the pic - I am thinking it needs to have a rubber washer below and above each mounting point.
Then only tighten to snug.
Reason to allow for metal expansion and contraction- the rubber washer will absorb this.
As mounted in the pic - cover gets hot and expands and it had nowhere to flex at the mount point and thus cracked
Yeah for the next one I’m going to make a run down to Ace before I install it
Sponsored