Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, black package
Here's how you display it on a VEHICLE. Do your research before acting like a know it all!
flagetiquette_decals.jpg

I’m sure you have seen the American flag displayed backwards in many places, like on cars, airplanes, and most notably on the right shoulder of soldier’s uniform. Why is this? Well it all has to do with the proper display of the flag.

When displaying the flag, the blue field of stars should always be in the highest position of honor. So if you are displaying the flag on a wall (horizontally or vertically) the blue field of stars will always be in the upper left. When displayed on a person or vehicle the FRONT is the highest position of honor.

Army Regulation 670-1 states, “the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that “the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.”
backwards_flag.jpg

With a quick search on the internet you are sure to find some people who accept this explanation, but you will also find a handful of people who think there is only ONE way to display our flag – star field to the upper left corner – PERIOD… any other way is unpatriotic. What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below!
Simply put: Our flag is never in retreat.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Here's how you display it on a VEHICLE. Do your research before acting like a know it all!
Yes, please do: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7

There's nothing in the law about pretending that a picture of a flag is an actual flag attached to a staff that is flapping in the wind. The army has its own way of doing things, and even that is not historical practice but because a certain general decided he wanted to go with this "pretend flag on a staff" thing. Unless you're actually subject to army regs, it's a fad.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
flagetiquette_decals.jpg

I’m sure you have seen the American flag displayed backwards in many places, like on cars, airplanes, and most notably on the right shoulder of soldier’s uniform. Why is this? Well it all has to do with the proper display of the flag.

When displaying the flag, the blue field of stars should always be in the highest position of honor. So if you are displaying the flag on a wall (horizontally or vertically) the blue field of stars will always be in the upper left. When displayed on a person or vehicle the FRONT is the highest position of honor.

Army Regulation 670-1 states, “the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that “the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.”
backwards_flag.jpg

With a quick search on the internet you are sure to find some people who accept this explanation, but you will also find a handful of people who think there is only ONE way to display our flag – star field to the upper left corner – PERIOD… any other way is unpatriotic. What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below!
bet me to it. thanks....

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, please do: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7

There's nothing in the law about pretending that a picture of a flag is an actual flag attached to a staff that is flapping in the wind. The army has its own way of doing things, and even that is not historical practice but because a certain general decided he wanted to go with this "pretend flag on a staff" thing. Unless you're actually subject to army regs, it's a fad.
Good grief, who talking about a Law? It's what the Etiquette is in displaying and flying the Flag.
air-force-one-in-flight-1024x769.jpg

Last edited:

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
As a Patriot Guard Rider, Son, Brother, Uncle and Cousin of veterans, I just fly it from both sides. But if you fly another flag along with the American Flag, the American Flag will always be on the passenger side of the vehicle (the vehicles right side) and even with or above the other flag, depending on the other flag displayed. If it is another country's flag, it will be even. All others will be flown below or lower than the American Flag. If you fly more than 2 flags, the American Flag will be in the center above the other flags in a position of prominence.

There is a law for the proper etiquette for the flag. It is just not enforced. BUT I can tell you that if you disrespect the American Flag.....It will not end good for you.

With that being said, I don't think that muted flags are defined any different as they represent the USA and should follow proper etiquette.

1584110975305.png

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As a Patriot Guard Rider, Son, Brother, Uncle and Cousin of veterans, I just fly it from both sides. But if you fly another flag along with the American Flag, the American Flag will always be on the passenger side of the vehicle (the vehicles right side) and even with or above the other flag, depending on the other flag displayed. If it is another country's flag, it will be even. All others will be flown below or lower than the American Flag. If you fly more than 2 flags, the American Flag will be in the center above the other flags in a position of prominence.

There is a law for the proper etiquette for the flag. It is just not enforced. BUT I can tell you that if you disrespect the American Flag.....It will not end good for you.

With that being said, I don't think that muted flags are defined any different as they represent the USA and should follow proper etiquette.

1584110975305.png
Early member of the PGR since I was in NJ... now in TN... so hey brother!
It was then the arguments ensued till we got confirmation of the proper way.
The American Legion helped a lot.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks gents for being Patriot Guard Riders. One of the nicest things ever when I saw them at my father's funeral 10 years ago at (and on the way to) Calverton Cemetery. He would have loved seeing them.

PS: I'm not a veteran so I'm not the Legion proper, but I am a registered Sons of the American Legion member and totally try to support them as much as possible.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
BUT I can tell you that if you disrespect the American Flag.....It will not end good for you.
Valuable post. This part stuck out because, despite the veiled threat of violence, the lesson here is that freedom of speech is not the same as freedom of consequence.

I find myself having to remind more people of this more often than I care too.

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
The flag is properly displayed with the stars upper left. Upper right is used on uniforms.
You're half right.

When displaying one flag, the field is on the left. When wearing patches on both arms, the field will be on the left on the left arm and the right on the right arm. This way both fields face the same direction, which would be to the forward of the displayer.

On the truck, I would do both the same way as a uniform.

The flag code spells all this out, as does the army's uniform regs for patches.

Edit: my brain did not direct the field correctly when imagine the arms. Army reg 670-1 describes the direction.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The flag code spells all this out,
No, it doesn't. The uniform patch thing is an invention of the post-vietnam army. I dare you to find a veteran of the 82nd or 101st that jumped into Europe and tell them that the normal US flag they proudly wore on their right shoulder was "wrong" and they were actually indicating to the nazis that they were in retreat.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Simply put: Our flag is never in retreat.
You nailed it bud,

"Our flag is never in retreat"

Damned right, never has and never will be

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Thank you to all the Veterans on this post spreading the clarity. Thank you for your continued service!

Another way to think about orientation... The stars always lead into battle!

-Tom

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
Commie libtards serve and protect this country too, lest you forget in your deep see of cognitive dissonance.

OP,
Maybe he served and/or lost friends or family that did. To many the muted flag represents sorrow from the loss of life in the line of duty, military or civil. While not technically stolen honor, to him representing yourself as having fallen loved ones that served if that isn’t the case may be something that he sees as disrespectful to those who have.

Buy him a beer, ask him more about it.
Really? What a bunch of whiney bologna???
Sponsored