Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
This is actually a big part of the reason for the design.

The cold rolled stainless steel used is so tough that forming it into typical body shapes is near impossible.

I'm not anti-EV, but there are still precious few chargers in my area. I could charge at home for 90+% of my use, but when I venture into the northern parts of the state it becomes a charging wasteland.

I'd buy a Cybertruck over a Lightning, Rivian, or Silverado EV if I were looking for an electric truck.

But for me, a hybrid makes much more sense.

If Maverick hybrid could be had in 4x4, I'd probably be there.

There is a large amount of hate toward Teslas simply because they're Teslas.

Tesla implemented a Sentry Mode due to so many of their vehicles getting keyed for no reason.

Vandal Caught By Sentry Mode
Wow, that's an impressive feature!
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Wow, that's an impressive feature!
David, I hope your not thinking of getting a Cyber Truck !!! The first time you make a dump run with it, and start to leave, they might stop you, thinking your trying to steal scrap metal from the scrap pile.......

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I think this vehicle appeals more to the folks with money who want the latest gimmicky thing, sports figures, Tesla fanboys, celebs, tech geeks, etc. and less to everyday “truck guys”.

I mean, it’s a niche product that is ugly AF and looks out of place no matter where it is. It also amplifies the whole douche image that Tesla has, thanks to many of the owners but especially to its money-guy and chief spokesperson. Seriously, I think he does more harm to the brand than the problem-plagued “truck” does.

I used to always think the contractor showing up to provide a quote in the latest, blinged out Hummer was charging his customers too much. If anyone drives up in this to provide a quote - don’t waste your time answering the door - you can’t afford them.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
This is actually a big part of the reason for the design.

The cold rolled stainless steel used is so tough that forming it into typical body shapes is near impossible.

But for me, a hybrid makes much more sense.
That's interesting to know that the material they opted to go with dictated the design so much. I've always thought that they were just trying too hard to be "edgy", and became literal. I also think that a hybrid makes a lot more sense, and is much more versatile and viable an option.

I'm all for a unique design, and agree with those who say that cars these days look like blobs of various sizes, but this particular design misses the boat for me. I'd also like to see more color options, just for some variety, especially since we seem to get less options in Canada than you guys do in the US. I love my black, but I probably would have gone with Eruption Green if we had that option. My sister's car is a Santa Fe in that greyish beige that seems to be their most popular colour; finding her car in a parking lot is an exercise in patience, because at least 10% of the cars in the lot will be an exact clone to hers, and another 20% are pretty damn close.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
There were too many lies when first introduced that never made it to production.
1. Price. I think they are over $90K.
2. Armored glass. That limp wristed throw during the reveal shattered the glass.
3. 8mm stainless, bullet proof panels. It's not 8mm (5/16). Maybe he meant 0.08 mm or 1/8". And it's not bullet proof. Bullet resistant would be more accurate.

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I am not a fan of the look. It is unique and eye catching for sure. I much prefer the Rivian's design if we are talking about EV trucks. I do not like the rear bed shape with the sloping tonneau cover. I can't imagine it's easy reaching over the bed sides.

I've watched a lot of reviews and am starting to get tired of customers bearing the brunt of Tesla's cost saving measures. On $30k vechicle, fine, but if you're paying $100k+, I do not want to see the company making the actual product worse.

For example, a 100k truck should have:
  • A gauge cluster like the S and X, not the single screen of a 3
  • A rearview mirror with camera display, not a plastic thing they expect you to throw away and force you to take up screen space of your only display because the tonneau cover blocks your rearview.
  • Door handles, even if it was retractable, it's a 100k, get me door handles
  • turn signal stalks, steering wheel mounted buttons will never be as good or reliable for muscle memory

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Yes that is pretty ugly to say the least. For that price I would get myself a Ranger Raptor or Bronco Raptor :rockon: Sorry Elon but you would have to pay me to have that thing.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Why do those things start corrode so soon, cheap metal? Should have used titanium.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
The CT is just the 2024 version of the Hummer of years ago.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I’ve seen a couple. Hard on the eyes for sure. I’ve heard Tesla has the self driving thing pretty dialed tho. To rich for my bluff either way tho.
From everything I have read on the subject, this last release of FSD was a major jump in reliable function.

Based on what Elon himself has said many times, FSD is at the heart of Tesla's future. Elon's own quote went something like "Tesla's value is essentially zero long term if we aren't successful with FSD." The fact that the head of autonomous driving left the company a few weeks later was probably just a coincidence, maybe.

Of course, the term "successful FSD" has always been a moving target. The fact they chose the term Full Self Driving, versus Autonomous probably has a bit of a built in hedge row for future reference.

One thing that seems to always be overlooked when proponents of autonomous driving are discussing its properties is the notion of it being "statistically safer than human driving." I have no doubt that autonomous driving system are well within reach of them being safer statistically than human driving. What seems to be, perhaps purposely, overlooked is that won't be the standard they are judged on and given permission to operate (autonomously).

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
There is a large amount of hate toward Teslas simply because they're Teslas. - @Dr. Zaius

Well in my neck of the woods, a few years back it was 4-5 out of 10 cars were Prisus'. Now it is 5-6 cars are Teslas, and the factory is just south a few miles. There are 3 CT's around so far, probably more, but I am already tired of looking at them.

Prius' or Tesla are drivers that whether they have money or not, believe in saving the planet, or if it is status they are after still do not have skills to actually drive. Other cars may have worse drivers too, but I actually think 85% of the people should have to take their driving test every 6 mos, as most people are I D 10 T's. I just see a lot of Teslas and they are a piece of work for sure. I don't hate people, it's just coming from how much I actually observe as I travel a lot and see a lot. Maybe that helps explain why Tesla Drivers are not liked so much.

FYI, we had an electric Focus, and it had a range of about a 100 miles. Not a lot of charging locations at the time and charging at home was equal to buying gas. If we decide on another car/suv it will probably be a plugin hybrid. For now its a Ranger and a Bronco.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
One thing that seems to always be overlooked when proponents of autonomous driving are discussing its properties is the notion of it being "statistically safer than human driving." I have no doubt that autonomous driving system are well within reach of them being safer statistically than human driving. What seems to be, perhaps purposely, overlooked is that won't be the standard they are judged on and given permission to operate (autonomously).
Based on what I see whenever I venture out onto the roads, a soggy Ramen noodle would have better and safer driving skills than the average around here.

If FSD only had to reach the level of random drivers, it's been there for a while.

There is a large amount of hate toward Teslas simply because they're Teslas. - @Dr. Zaius

Prius' or Tesla are drivers that whether they have money or not, believe in saving the planet, or if it is status they are after still do not have skills to actually drive. Other cars may have worse drivers too, but I actually think 85% of the people should have to take their driving test every 6 mos, as most people are I D 10 T's. I just see a lot of Teslas and they are a piece of work for sure. I don't hate people, it's just coming from how much I actually observe as I travel a lot and see a lot. Maybe that helps explain why Tesla Drivers are not liked so much.
True, there's no denying that a good portion of the clientele they seem to attract are predisposed to a particular mindset.

I know 3 people with Teslas.

2 of them are normal folks. Well, one of those 2 is a bit of a Geek and wanted all the techno babble that comes with them.

The 3rd comes close to the stereotype you outlined.

Nothing gets him going faster than referring to his car as "that white Camry" 😁

He knows we do it just to bug him. That doesn't make it any less funny 🤣
Sponsored