EV Fires Are a Thing, but Not for Long. Honeywell Is Part of the Reason Why.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Think what EVs are going to do to the off road market. All those long wide 1/4" skid plates protecting those massive battery packs!
Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Then to solve the open door refrig dilemma look to the lowest most primitive solution available - reverse damperize it , for me though not into dampers I prefer to blame the wife and proceed with the appropiate number of lashes, can't be tolerant of my beer getting warm .
Truth! My wife has unkowingly turned off the ice maker by inadvertently touching the digital control at least twice since we had this fridge. Nothing worse than setting out for a day on the river and find out the ice maker is empty.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Think what EVs are going to do to the off road market. All those long wide 1/4" skid plates protecting those massive battery packs!
I'm sure they'll be standard on most if not all off road vehicles. For one it'll give the manufacturers another excuse to raise prices and two it could be a potential law suite sending these out without skids knowing the could explode.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure they'll be standard on most if not all off road vehicles. For one it'll give the manufacturers another excuse to raise prices and two it could be a potential law suite sending these out without skids knowing the could explode.
Maybe on the FX4 models.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just came across this. Don't know the story, except that they were EVs and caught fire from mist in rough seas. Burned through the night including the ties downs apparently. Anyone know the facts?

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Another thought, in off road vehicles that traverse creeks and streams, the battery pack is one of the lowest placed items in the vehicle due to the weight and the need for a low center of gravity.

Battery packs do not like moisture - makes things go BOOM!

I can't see off roading in an EV as a safe adventure. Keep the battery pack low and risk life threatening rock and water damage. Move the battery high, and roll down the mountain when leaning only 15 degrees! Pick your poison ladies and gents!
Seems like it works for the Jeep 4XE. I’ve been on trail rides with one from our club and it goes everywhere and handles all the stuff the regular Jeeps do. If engineered properly an off road EV should work fine. Pic is reference for what the 4XE went through on a trail ride with us last summer. And no I didn’t have alternator problems.

1DFCA4F2-A512-4F88-B8AD-E076E4A5EC73.jpeg

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Link to a site that has a good many articles regards lith-ion fires, but I won't believe a word of it until I see it on Chicago Fire, Lone Star, Fire County , Station 19, speaking of hot flames how about those female smoke eaters on Chicago Fire. Below is a pic of the 1st EV firetruck allowing lith-ion fire to be fought in kind.

https://www.ctif.org/news/burning-ship-carrying-lithium-ev-cars-sank-outside-azores

1679497157098.png

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Lithium batteries definitely have issues. Aware of one very recent instance (with holding details) where a lithium battery caught fire and at one point they were afraid they were going to lose the entire (huge) structure due to the fire departments inability to contain the damn thing. Luckily they got it handled. No criticism of the fire department involved! Just a classic demonstration of the difficulty of lithium battery fire containment.

I don't know the answer nor am I smart enough to figure it out. But definitely a problem that needs to be solved.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
She now thinks that you should all drive EVs and you must absolutely LOVE the Linux operating system.

FkRljmaUUAEul69.jpg

I don't know the answer nor am I smart enough to figure it out. But definitely a problem that needs to be solved.
Fire problem solved.

The jet engine powered extinguisher that was built for the Persian Gulf oil well fires.

origin.jpg

he_most_powerful_fire_extinguisher_in_the_world_15.gif

With the tank tracks it can get almost anywhere.

Just get one for each fire department.

I'm sure the cost is negligible.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Lithium batteries definitely have issues. Aware of one very recent instance (with holding details) where a lithium battery caught fire and at one point they were afraid they were going to lose the entire (huge) structure due to the fire departments inability to contain the damn thing. Luckily they got it handled. No criticism of the fire department involved! Just a classic demonstration of the difficulty of lithium battery fire containment.

That's why when I was looking for a power station I only looked at ones with LifePO4 batteries. They're way safer and last a lot longer and have safety measures in place that keep this from happening. Last thing I'd want is to have one stored in my house and have it explode. Same thing is happening with E Bikes but most are from cheap no name batteries.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Next maybe they could develop the same system for the 284,000 ICE vehicles that catch fire each year ?
Are the ICE vehicles spontaneously combusting?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are the ICE vehicles spontaneously combusting?
yeah they do - esp if they are hyundais and kias, facts on ICE vs EVs nos of fires. I'd suggest EV batteries will become less fire prone over time, ICE stuff maybe not.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/gove...e-significantly-more-prone-to-fires-than-evs/

A relevant excerpt from the above articles, stoking the EV vs anti-EV flames, more to come

While a growing amount of consumers have stated their next vehicle purchase will be all electric, there are still plenty of coal rollers with a death grip on their gas cans, savoring their final sips of lame-duck, gasoline-based kool-aid. Truthfully, that anti-EV crowd remains a minority group that is hopefully dwindling further as electric vehicles continue to tiptoe toward price parity with ICE cars.

A majority of animosity toward electric vehicles, like many sad situations in this world, comes from a simple lack of understanding and knowledge on the subject. The average consumer still believes they need at least 500 miles of range to commute to their job eight miles away, and the thought of having to sit for 18–25 minutes at a fast charger feels like torture compared to a 3–5 minute gas station visit, right?

These are common excuses we as EV advocates encounter in daily conversations with people. We also hear that EVs will burn people’s houses down when they’re charging, yet people continue to buy cars that will actually kill you if you run them without proper ventilation.

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's why when I was looking for a power station I only looked at ones with LifePO4 batteries. They're way safer and last a lot longer and have safety measures in place that keep this from happening. Last thing I'd want is to have one stored in my house and have it explode. Same thing is happening with E Bikes but most are from cheap no name batteries.

The horror the horror - can't say I watched it but highly likely another staged youtube video. So are you jettisioning your lithium powered devices - cell phones, laptops, the jump starter pack for you auto ? or maybe just store that stuff outside the house at night ?

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
yeah they do - esp if they are hyundais and kias, facts on ICE vs EVs nos of fires. I'd suggest EV batteries will become less fire prone over time, ICE stuff maybe not.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/gove...e-significantly-more-prone-to-fires-than-evs/

A relevant excerpt from the above articles, stoking the EV vs anti-EV flames, more to come

While a growing amount of consumers have stated their next vehicle purchase will be all electric, there are still plenty of coal rollers with a death grip on their gas cans, savoring their final sips of lame-duck, gasoline-based kool-aid. Truthfully, that anti-EV crowd remains a minority group that is hopefully dwindling further as electric vehicles continue to tiptoe toward price parity with ICE cars.

A majority of animosity toward electric vehicles, like many sad situations in this world, comes from a simple lack of understanding and knowledge on the subject. The average consumer still believes they need at least 500 miles of range to commute to their job eight miles away, and the thought of having to sit for 18–25 minutes at a fast charger feels like torture compared to a 3–5 minute gas station visit, right?

These are common excuses we as EV advocates encounter in daily conversations with people. We also hear that EVs will burn people’s houses down when they’re charging, yet people continue to buy cars that will actually kill you if you run them without proper ventilation.
Wild. I’m not anti-EV but think it’s jumping the gun a bit. I’ll be happy to buy one when range, price, and fast charging are worked out. No way I’m taking family on a road trip with a 20+ minute charge and screaming baby in the car while stopped to charge for so long.
Sponsored