Finally a Ford TSB to Try and Fix our Transmission Problems (TSB 24-2046)

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
So my truck is currently having the 2nd stage ( valve body) of the TSB done at the dealer. Yesterday I got an alert from Ford Pass app for a power train malfunction. Texted dealer this morning to ask what it was and they said it’s repair related. Whatever it was also gained me 100 miles in distance to empty. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_9257.png

IMG_9259.png

IMG_9242.png
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
So my truck is currently having the 2nd stage ( valve body) of the TSB done at the dealer. Yesterday I got an alert from Ford Pass app for a power train malfunction. Texted dealer this morning to ask what it was and they said it’s repair related. Whatever it was also gained me 100 miles in distance to empty. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_9257.png

IMG_9259.png

IMG_9242.png
That's them test driving it before and/or after repairs, which is a good thing as some repair shops will apply a 'fix' then drive it around the block and say, 'all is good'.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
That's them test driving it before and/or after repairs, which is a good thing as some repair shops will apply a 'fix' then drive it around the block and say, 'all is good'.
Note no change in mileage from drop off date to code popping. So no it wasn’t driven according to the app

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Note no change in mileage from drop off date to code popping. So no it wasn’t driven according to the app
Well, that's odd. Maybe someone sucked gas out of the tank?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
All 2019-2023 Rangers have the 10R80
I had emailed Suncoast about 5G Ranger transmission swaps since they build(rebuild) premium units but they tried to tell me our trucks don't have the 10R80. I sent them my VIN per their request to prove it and they went silent. That was a couple months ago.

leanit

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
I swung by the Ford dealer yesterday to see about this TSB as I have intermittent weird shifting. It's a bit reluctant to downshift at low speed going up steep grades, and when coming back down, it can't decide on a gear, then slams hard into a low one. Not every time, but enough to worry about breaking something. 2022 Lariat FX4 with 23k miles.

I had them print out this TSB and go to it. Done in under two hours with these notes on the shop ticket:

AUTO TRANS CONCERN
CUSTOMER STATES at times transmission shifts hard on downshifts when not loaded going downhill
TSB #24-2046 PROGRAM
CK OASIS AND CK TRANS AND EEC CK PASS
MONITOR PIDS DURING ROAD TEST VERIFY ERRATIC HARSH DOWN SHIFTS M-TIME
PERFORM TSB #24-2046
PROGRAM SOLENOID STRATEGY AND CLEAR KAM AND TRANS TABLES AND RE SET LEARN AND DRIVE CYCLE TEST PASS NOW SHIFTS ARE GREAT (LABOR 7001D 0.4 / 7001D1 0.5 / M-TIME 0.8
/ / TOTAL 1.7 HRS)

Covered by warranty. No charge.
Too early to tell for sure, but it was better heading up the hill home last night. Hopefully it's just this software update.

* Disclaimer: This is my first vehicle with an automatic transmission, so I'm not a great judge of computerized shift quality.

Last edited:

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I swung by the Ford dealer yesterday to see about this TSB as I have intermittent weird shifting. It's a bit reluctant to downshift at low speed going up steep grades, and when coming back down, it can't decide on a gear, then slams hard into a low one. Not every time, but enough to worry about breaking something. 2022 Lariat FX4 with 23k miles.

I had them print out this TSB and go to it. Done in under two hours with these notes on the shop ticket:

AUTO TRANS CONCERN
CUSTOMER STATES at times transmission shifts hard on downshifts when not loaded going downhill
TSB #24-2046 PROGRAM
CK OASIS AND CK TRANS AND EEC CK PASS
MONITOR PIDS DURING ROAD TEST VERIFY ERRATIC HARSH DOWN SHIFTS M-TIME
PERFORM TSB #24-2046
PROGRAM SOLENOID STRATEGY AND CLEAR KAM AND TRANS TABLES AND RE SET LEARN AND DRIVE CYCLE TEST PASS NOW SHIFTS ARE GREAT (LABOR 7001D 0.4 / 7001D1 0.5 / M-TIME 0.8
/ / TOTAL 1.7 HRS)

Too early to tell for sure, but it was better heading up the hill home last night. Hopefully it's just this software update.
I had the same done and it’s now back for step 2 of the TSB ( valve body).

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
/ / TOTAL 1.7 HRS)

I love how they say "shifts are great"!!

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 with less than 18k.

I have noticed that on rare occasion I will get a harsh shift when first starting out in cold weather. If the truck is given time to warm up in the driveway then there is no issue.

I avoid the issue by driving it mildly for the first few miles.

Once warmed up then everything is fine.

So where do I sit in regards to this TSB?

How would one get the dealer to do this TSB?
I am not sure if I was not having a real issue that I would want them to do anything. It sounds like a major tear down or replacement and I have low confidence that today's mechanics have the skills to do all of this. That old saying, "if it's not broke..."

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I had the same done and it’s now back for step 2 of the TSB ( valve body).
yeah, every time they touch the thing they reset the learning cycle and it won't settle down for a while.

HeatXfer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired Pipefitter & commercial HVACR Tech
Yikes! I've got an early build '19 (1/22/19) bought in March '19. I reported the late shifting on my first dealer service in Sept, but it wasn't recorded on the service tag. I did notice a slight improvement after that, but at this point I have no idea if they did anything about it. It doesn't get very cold here and I typically wait till the revs drop before driving. 33k+miles - so far so good.

After reading all the posts in this thread it looks like everybody is satisfied with this being a software/programming issue, but, after watching the video Stevedbvik1 linked, it looks more like hardware problem that reflashing only bandaids. Getting rid of the symptoms doesn't fix the problem.

Food for thought: GM transmission class action suit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure if I was not having a real issue that I would want them to do anything. It sounds like a major tear down or replacement and I have low confidence that today's mechanics have the skills to do all of this. That old saying, "if it's not broke..."
Low confidence? But why? ;)

IMG_6088.jpeg
Sponsored