First Name
STEVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SPORT 4X4
Occupation
HYDRAULIC TECH
I just installed the Ford Performance Air Oil Separator, and as others have said, removing the lower hose was definitely painful to the hand and arm! I used a pruning shears to cut the plastic tube, and it made rotating the tube to access the orange clip that needs to be cut much easier. I used a right-angle pick to break the orange clip, and slowly but surely it worked, and the lower hose released. My hand and arm looks like they were in a battle zone - no pain, no gain! I would have taken a video, but all you would hear are “bleeps” from me saying naughty words!!! The new tubes snapped right on, and installation was super easy. On a side note, I had to remove my engine cover, which allowed me to wash it up and make it all pretty again. Now - with a clean engine cover, the engine idles smoother, gas mileage went up by 0.001%, I feel good about myself, and the tailgate damper has never worked better!!!

By the way, I purchased my kit from Levittown Ford out of New York. Took about 10 days for it to arrive here in Minnesota. They had a competitive price. Looks like Stage 3 Motorsports had a similar price point as well. What I like about purchasing a Genuine Ford product, is it should keep my warranty in tact. I shouldn't have to worry about "Your rear differential bearings are faulty, but we can't fix them under warranty because you installed an Air and Oil Separator - Sorry!".

I will update on how often the can needs to be emptied. I live in Minnesota, so we get all kinds of weather from 30 degrees below zero to 100 degrees above zero and humidity.

Air Oil Separator #1.jpeg

Air Oil Separator #2.jpeg

Air Oil Separator #3.jpeg
catch can works better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DRVMN

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
catch can works better.
Isn't this Ford's version of a "Catch Can"?

What I like about the Ford Performance product, is that it won't give Ford a reason to deny the extended warranty, saying I added an aftermarket product that was not Ford approved.

OP
OP
DRVMN

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I checked the air/oil separator for the first time today after about four weeks since installation and this is what I found. Glad that “Gunk” wasn’t circulated back through the engine! It wasn’t a lot, but nonetheless it can’t be good for the fuel system either! Our Minnesota weather has been all over the place lately - cold, warm, snowstorm, etc

I removed the four Allen screws so I could dump out what was collected. There is a screen at the top of the canister as well. Pretty easy to take off and install.

IMG_4759.jpeg

Last edited:

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student
I checked the air/oil separator for the first time today after about four weeks since installation and this is what I found. Glad that “Gunk” wasn’t circulated back through the engine! It wasn’t a lot, but nonetheless it can’t be good for the fuel system either! Our Minnesota weather has been all over the place lately - cold, warm, snowstorm, etc

I removed the four Allen screws so I could dump out what was collected. There is a screen at the top of the canister as well. Pretty easy to take off and install.

IMG_4759.jpeg
I used to have a mishimoto catch can, and truth be told I am a traumatized by the experience. The PCV valve connector provided by mishimoto failed, and actually cracked my stock PCV port on my truck, which I had to have replaced by ford. I also am a bigger guy, so arm lenght is not an issue, but having to uninstall and reinstall the ford pcv valve was headache enough for me. I since have not had a catch can on my truck for over a year, but was wondering since this is a ford performance product, can I have ford install it for me? My hand can barely fit in to where the PCV hose is and I really don't want to have to lose another hand on install again! o_O

It seems from the pictures that it's doing its job, and being that I'm only at 33k miles I should probably be preventative. Let me know what you guys think!

Joranger2023

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I used to have a mishimoto catch can, and truth be told I am a traumatized by the experience. The PCV valve connector provided by mishimoto failed, and actually cracked my stock PCV port on my truck, which I had to have replaced by ford. I also am a bigger guy, so arm lenght is not an issue, but having to uninstall and reinstall the ford pcv valve was headache enough for me. I since have not had a catch can on my truck for over a year, but was wondering since this is a ford performance product, can I have ford install it for me? My hand can barely fit in to where the PCV hose is and I really don't want to have to lose another hand on install again! o_O

It seems from the pictures that it's doing its job, and being that I'm only at 33k miles I should probably be preventative. Let me know what you guys think!
It’s very easy, takes less than 15 minutes to install

OP
OP
DRVMN

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would think that since it is a Ford product, Ford would install it. I know Ford Performance has a tuner kit, that if installed by Ford, it keeps the warranty in tack. Don't quote me on this - it's just my thoughts/opinion.

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
If it was required to be installed by Ford,then Ford would be the only place to buy it from?
maybe I’m wrong,but it’s so easy to install,I was reluctant to do it myself because I was afraid of breaking something,but nothing to it!

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student
I don't understand how it's easy if its the same process as installing a catch can. Is it different than a catch can install? I don't know exactly what I would have to work with if I ordered it.

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student
If it was required to be installed by Ford,then Ford would be the only place to buy it from?
maybe I’m wrong,but it’s so easy to install,I was reluctant to do it myself because I was afraid of breaking something,but nothing to it!
Is it like installing a catch can where your entire arm is going up into the engine from the oil filter area of the engine? Or different and less invasive?

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I think the confusion is that the catch can that's installed at the front is the easy one and the lower one from the side of the block to the intake is the pain in the ass one. There are 2 different sides you can install one at. I have both and yes the lower one is a bigger pain as you do that one all by feel.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just saw this thread and planning to purchase and install the FPP.

OP
OP
DRVMN

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't understand how it's easy if its the same process as installing a catch can. Is it different than a catch can install? I don't know exactly what I would have to work with if I ordered it.
I believe the other catch cans are installed on a different part of the engine compared to the Ford Performance part.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
David I have the Ford one too and installed 6 months ago. Two months ago I inquired about how to empty these since the instructions did not say. To empty they say to take off both hoses and dump the sludge out the bottom or lower hose connection. Also the install was about 25 minutes to do the whole thing. Easy Peasy. Being in the Northwest and all the moisture, rain, cold this is probably needed more than in Arizona for instance. I got about 1/4 cup max after 5 months so it's working. Funny I was going to have my local Ford dealer install it but they said they wanted $556 to install. What a joke. So I did it myself.

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
just google the instructions