Ford Performance Air Oil Separator Installed

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I used to have a mishimoto catch can, and truth be told I am a traumatized by the experience. The PCV valve connector provided by mishimoto failed, and actually cracked my stock PCV port on my truck, which I had to have replaced by ford. I also am a bigger guy, so arm lenght is not an issue, but having to uninstall and reinstall the ford pcv valve was headache enough for me. I since have not had a catch can on my truck for over a year, but was wondering since this is a ford performance product, can I have ford install it for me? My hand can barely fit in to where the PCV hose is and I really don't want to have to lose another hand on install again! o_O

It seems from the pictures that it's doing its job, and being that I'm only at 33k miles I should probably be preventative. Let me know what you guys think!
I can see how one could damage the PCV port while installing the catch can. I worried about just that when I installed my UPR can. Enough so that I purchased the PCV Oil Separator/ PCV Port from Ford. After receiving it and looking over the replacement steps, I was somewhat alarmed at the effort it would take to replace the PVC port. I do not think it possible to do without removing the intake manifold as it is tucked up under the intake.. And there are a lot of things attached to that Intake manifold!

I could do it, but I don't want to have to do it. The knife opened is 8" long.
2020 Ranger PVC.JPG

With regards to service-ability, very poor engineering design.
Sponsored

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I can see how one could damage the PCV port while installing the catch can. I worried about just that when I installed my UPR can. Enough so that I purchased the PCV Oil Separator/ PCV Port from Ford. After receiving it and looking over the replacement steps, I was somewhat alarmed at the effort it would take to replace the PVC port. I do not think it possible to do without removing the intake manifold as it is tucked up under the intake.. And there are a lot of things attached to that Intake manifold!

2020 Ranger PVC.JPG

I'm looking forward to the installation, just ordered one. If it is too difficult I might just take it to my mechanic or Ford folks.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I'm looking forward to the installation, just ordered one. If it is too difficult I might just take it to my mechanic or Ford folks.
Again, this is not where the ford one goes.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the PVC system change or did Ford simply use different ports? And if Ford used different ports, how do you keep the oil vapors in the crankcase from going directly out the PVC valve straight into the intake manifold on the drivers side of the engine?

Last edited:

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student

2020 Ranger PVC.JPG

That red port is what was damaged at the base where it meets the black neck. Had to have it replaced by ford...

Reactions: TJC

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student
I just installed the Ford Performance Air Oil Separator, and as others have said, removing the lower hose was definitely painful to the hand and arm! I used a pruning shears to cut the plastic tube, and it made rotating the tube to access the orange clip that needs to be cut much easier. I used a right-angle pick to break the orange clip, and slowly but surely it worked, and the lower hose released. My hand and arm looks like they were in a battle zone - no pain, no gain! I would have taken a video, but all you would hear are “bleeps” from me saying naughty words!!! The new tubes snapped right on, and installation was super easy. On a side note, I had to remove my engine cover, which allowed me to wash it up and make it all pretty again. Now - with a clean engine cover, the engine idles smoother, gas mileage went up by 0.001%, I feel good about myself, and the tailgate damper has never worked better!!!

By the way, I purchased my kit from Levittown Ford out of New York. Took about 10 days for it to arrive here in Minnesota. They had a competitive price. Looks like Stage 3 Motorsports had a similar price point as well. What I like about purchasing a Genuine Ford product, is it should keep my warranty in tact. I shouldn't have to worry about "Your rear differential bearings are faulty, but we can't fix them under warranty because you installed an Air and Oil Separator - Sorry!".

I will update on how often the can needs to be emptied. I live in Minnesota, so we get all kinds of weather from 30 degrees below zero to 100 degrees above zero and humidity.

Air Oil Separator #1.jpeg

Air Oil Separator #2.jpeg

Air Oil Separator #3.jpeg
Where does the hose that runs down into the engine bay connect to? The instructions do not specify.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That red port is what was damaged at the base where it meets the black neck. Had to have it replaced by ford...
That is the same place that I worried about. The red port pivots but getting that connector off was a bear. I did pivot mine 90 degrees and moved hoses around to assist me in getting my fingers in place to depress the blue release tab while pulling the hose off. I still hate thinking about it! :headbang:

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where does the hose that runs down into the engine bay connect to? The instructions do not specify.
My guess (and it is only that) is the crankcase. I got it wrong, as Airline Tech shows below, it pulls the vacuum from just upstream of the turbo inlet. The top hose pulls a vacuum through the Ford Performance Air Oil Separator drawing the vapors from the crankcase Cam Cover.

Ford is trying to minimize the vapors before they reach the PVC / Oil Separator port.

Not a bad idea, but I think pulling the vapors after they escape from the PVC / Oil separator port and routing them through a catch can before those vapors come in contact with the intake valves stems is a better technical solution. Again a guess...

Both may very well have exactly the same result.

Ford's solution is certainly easier to implement. UPR's catch can is easier to empty and maintain after the installation. 5 minutes and I'm done. And an annual cleaning with carb or brake cleaner that may take 15 minutes.

UPR's solution also keeps working even when under boost due to pulling vacuum from 2 places (before the turbo when under boost, and from the intake manifold when operating normally aspirated) with 2 check valves controlling the vacuum flow source.

I have caught a lot of crap in the 15K miles mine has been installed. It stratifies into 3 layers... deep black oil in the bottom 1/3rd, and what looks like water and/or gas in the top 2/3rds.

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Thanks for sharing this! I am confused about the tube that is running down to the bottom of the engine bay, the instructions don't specify where this part of the tube goes? Bottom left of the screenshot here.

Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 10.30.00 PM.png
It is rather lax on specifics.

Crankcase Vent Tube.png

It routes down to the Intake Air Resonator - Outlet Pipe (Blue Nipple - Open)

Intake Air Resonator Outlet Pipe - Blue Nipple.jpeg

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So right into the Turbo inlet. That does make a lot more sense.

Last edited:

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student
It is rather lax on specifics.

Crankcase Vent Tube.png

It routes down to the Intake Air Resonator - Outlet Pipe (Blue Nipple - Open)

Intake Air Resonator Outlet Pipe - Blue Nipple.jpeg
Where are you finding these schematics? I just ordered my air oil separator from stage 3 motorsports! Just need to know what tubes to unplug, and where to insert the new tubes.

OP
OP
DRVMN

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
Where are you finding these schematics? I just ordered my air oil separator from stage 3 motorsports! Just need to know what tubes to unplug, and where to insert the new tubes.
The OEM PCV hose will be easy to spot - just like the blue hose in the diagram above. The Ford Performance Air/Oil Separator was engineered perfectly and fits as if it was there from the factory. When you install the Air/Oil Separator, it will be very clear where both hoses go based on their shape, bends/curves, etc. Put a light coating of oil on all o-rings so the new hoses snap on without putting extra stress on the plastic connector they snap into.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
These come from the service manuals, nothing to do with the catch can install , you have to find specific item to replace to see it.
You are only removing (1) factory tube and installing the catch can (inline) of both ends of the tube.
Its intent is to catch / drain any impurities in that tube into the can.

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student
These come from the service manuals, nothing to do with the catch can install , you have to find specific item to replace to see it.
You are only removing (1) factory tube and installing the catch can (inline) of both ends of the tube.
Its intent is to catch / drain any impurities in that tube into the can.
Ok that last sentence made the whole install make sense to me. Thanks for clarifying that!
Sponsored