First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Any engine can run without oil, but for how long?
This was mostly said in humor but some of those engines ran with barely any oil for more miles than anyone ever counted. I borrowed a friends car in mid 1980's that had a slant six from mid 1970's. I drove about 300 miles with it on a road trip. As a gesture of appreciation I changed the oil for him. When I went to drain the oil not much came out but a coffee cup of sludge and water. When I told him what I did for him he laughed. He said he never changed the oil in it. He looked at the dipstick about once a month and put enough oil in it to show up on the dipstick.
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
i wouldnt pay much attention to the "fuel in oil" stuff. with all the electronic sensors and computer junk on new cars if something was wrong it would tell ya. the computer on the new rangers monitors darn near everything. id bet a nickel most brand new engines have a lil fuel in the oil until its broken in and things are seated well etc. if you already changed the oil and filter then great. drive it. run the truck hard. pussy footin around for 5k miles is for engines from a bygone era that are now obsolete. not saying you do that. just putting it out. im getting near 20k miles and i never checked the oil for fuel and if happens to have gas in the oil then fine by me. the truck runs like a baby daddy before child support hearings. i avg over 20 mpg even when a solid 40 % is off road with the truck loaded full of extra stuff. it pretends to be turbo diesel in terms of power and it does it pretty frugally. cant expect anything better from it. if the engine runs good and is not showing symptoms that show up while driving then it does what its supposed to do. people get over hyped when they hear something from the .00003% of owners on line and stress about it. for about a week i was dead set my center support bearing was going out. read all about it thread after thread. i stressed after hearing it making noise. took it to a mechanic who looked it over and he gave it hose down of brake cleaner (red river mud ran out) then he said nothing wrong with it. he was right. no worries friend, put a few thousand "truck use" miles on it before worrying about fuel in the oil. most likely- the rings will get broke in nicely and you will have a great engine for many years. if it goes poof its under warranty lol. as the end user consumer its not our jobs to be ford engineers or technicians or to look out for manufacture defects ? . "thats what i plan on telling the dealer when mighty mouse under the hood sends a piston through the hood at red line" . all i know as the consumer is i used it for what it was sold to me to do an now it no worky, ford fixy.
OK, I'm gonna use this in the future. This could be one of the best new analogies I've heard in a long time, so Imma gonna wear it out.:clap:

:turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey:You get 6 @Tracy Bowman dancing turkeys.

I know you're a bit new here Mark, so I'll explain. A Tracy Bowman dancing turkey reward is a great honor that is held in perpetuity by the honoree, and not to be taken lightly. With this reward, and 2 dollars you can get a free cup of coffee anywhere in the United States. Be proud young man, you are one of the very few. I live for the day I'm chosen. :bandit:

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
OK, I'm gonna use this in the future. This could be one of the best new analogies I've heard in a long time, so Imma gonna wear it out.:clap:

:turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey:You get 6 @Tracy Bowman dancing turkeys.

I know you're a bit new here Mark, so I'll explain. A Tracy Bowman dancing turkey reward is a great honor that is held in perpetuity by the honoree, and not to be taken lightly. With this reward, and 2 dollars you can get a free cup of coffee anywhere in the United States. Be proud young man, you are one of the very few. I live for the day I'm chosen. :bandit:
its an honor to have been bestowed with the tracy bowman turkeys at r5g! now that i have them i will stir up trouble in threads and use my status as a six turkey member to be above the law lol :rockon:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

What! No turkeys??? My bad!:giggle: Here you go @wanted33! :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:
Sponsored