I test drove a Ranger Raptor yesterday....

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Magic words Paid off!

And this is why Ford ditched the Tremor in my opinion. They knew anybody with any sense would just buy the tremor after a comparison.

In truth, after looking at broncos, the ranger raptor isn't a bad deal as long as somebody isn't giving the dealer extra "look at me I got the first one" money.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jackpot Tremor

Jackpot Tremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 4x4
Occupation
Self Employed
Honestly itā€™s the truth that the Ranger Raptor doesnā€™t make sense if you compare it to getting a 2021-2022 Ranger Tremor ford Performance tuned nice proper wheels, long travel suspension, street legal pre runner ish build. Xlt or lariat versions (personally wish the xlt came with the better headlights since I prefer the dated gauges of the XLT.)ā€¦ the argument against buying the RR IS absolutely on point and truthfully I do agree to the point where Iā€™m even sold on the thought of getting a 2022 XLT Ranger Tremor build instead (since fpt isnā€™t carb approved for 2023 Ranger tremors ((currently)). For me itā€™s basically the Truck I like that itā€™s V6 turbo I like the new headlights and bodywork (not more than the 5G though not less.) I like the all time awd/4wd, I will be getting a white one or getting it white to match our current 5G Tremor to match, I do like the RR seats more than the tremor xlt and the lariat ones with thelittle leather center detail I like the layout and look of the interior (shifter, cup holders, vents and steering wheel with the color marker on the grip part of the wheel.) Iā€™m team buy a RR, itā€™s under the philosophy of thatā€™s my TRuCK thatā€™s the one I want to drive daily and it may not be as super bad ass as the hype. Reading the honest review from the OP and your additional review (thank you also for sharing your experience too.) it showed me I want the RR because I want the RR as Iā€™m convinced for that for whatever reason even if I had a decked out tremor thatā€™s faster and more capable or a fi50 Raptor R Iā€™d still want the Ranger Raptor. Canā€™t explain why exactly, just well I love the RRā€¦ I do love my Ranger tremor stock (modding coming soon but itā€™ll be tailored towards wifey.)ā€¦ Iā€™ve been trying to talk myself out of getting the RR but itā€™s the only one that just keeps sticking anyway sorry for rambling on and on. The feedback is very helpful in helping me come to a conclusionā€¦ itā€™s like Goldielocks the F150 Raptor is too beefy, the modded tremor 5th gen is too spicy (and in tech Iā€™ll have one also since wifey caught the sickness for wanting to mod our current one)ā€¦ this 6th Gen RR is just right.. for me.
I probably have brain damage or something wanting a Ranger raptor over a f150 Raptor..
If you got this far I apologize Iā€™ve had a couple of nice beverages so ya not a excuse just a explanation, cheers guys

I feel you.....even though I LOVE My decked out Lariat Tremor......part of me still wants that damn Ranger Raptor!!...LOL.....I've been eyeing an Azure Grey without the beadlock capable wheels......one is dealer ordered from where I bought my Ranger from AND they sold the last Ranger Raptor they had for $5k over msrp......feel like I should stop in and tell them I want it!....LOL

OP
OP
Jackpot Tremor

Jackpot Tremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Magic words Paid off!

And this is why Ford ditched the Tremor in my opinion. They knew anybody with any sense would just buy the tremor after a comparison.

In truth, after looking at broncos, the ranger raptor isn't a bad deal as long as somebody isn't giving the dealer extra "look at me I got the first one" money.

yep!....Mine is paid for and I can't pay 100% cash for a new one.....I could trade in but I still would have a big nut to pay every month.....between sales tax and interest rates.....ouch!......not to mention even a "modest" $5K dealer mark-up.......

I just have to keep telling myself......My Tremor is great....my Tremor is great......you don't need a RR......memory seats aren't worth it......the gas milage on the RR sucks......but damn it why do I still want one?!!....LOL

OGMix376

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Ranger Tremor
Occupation
House Maintenance Technician ;)
I feel you.....even though I LOVE My decked out Lariat Tremor......part of me still wants that damn Ranger Raptor!!...LOL.....I've been eyeing an Azure Grey without the beadlock capable wheels......one is dealer ordered from where I bought my Ranger from AND they sold the last Ranger Raptor they had for $5k over msrp......feel like I should stop in and tell them I want it!....LOL
See the heart knows haha.
I also got wifey on board telling me we have to get my truck so i basically have to. Or I wouldnā€™t be finishing the honey do listā€¦. And thatā€™s never good šŸ™‚
Magic words Paid off!

thatā€™s unfortunately holding a lot of water in my opinion. The tremor would for sure soak up a lot of the potential RR (not me Iā€™m still on board for the RR.) buyers.. Iā€™d say the tremor could possibly come out after the I got it first crowd gets satisfied and the I got one too, I want the RR and will be getting one but I wonā€™t buy a first one. Gonna wait 18 months. Hopefully thatā€™ll be enough times to let the early birds cycle through and get the possible recalls (all vehicles have something that needs to be real world tested and reworked.) figured out. I want the truck to drive not to experience the beta testing is how I think about it. Tremor package will rise again for the 6th gen because the RR is all time 4wheel drive which isnā€™t that basically a robust AWD system.. some folks would probably prefer the 2H4L4H select and better than FX4 OR capable suspension from factory with the 2.7L turbo v6 or the pretty badass 2.3L we have come to love. The Tremor package not coming back after the RR first wave would be a poor choice not to offer the premium off road package. I think of it like the packages for the trims xl (4wd) xlt (fx4 off road) and the lariat (Tremor).. some one who wants a better performance off road but still needs the 7500# tow cap would in my mind would definitely pick a 6g lariat Tremor or xlt tremor over the Raptor Rangerā€¦ idk it makes sense in my head.
Wifey coming in to help translate my thoughts..
She said it sounds like you think the blue oval has it wrong
The Raptors arenā€™t the premium trim package of a vehicleā€¦ itā€™s which Raptor do you want for Raptor buyers son Raptor (Ranger), daughter Raptor (Bronco), or Daddy Raptor (F150)
And the real world vehicles are given the normal pkg, good pkg, better pkg, best pkg. with focused options packages that tilt more toward lux or more towards Off-Road..
luxury truck buyer would get the limited or platinum series and the cool kids will get the Tremor or Tremor with a little more technology.
Anyway thatā€™s my thoughts no one asked for and may not make sense.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
I believe you are saying the tremor will be back? šŸ˜

I hope it is

Look, I have no say in how anyone spends their money. If they think its worth it to them to pay over sticker.
We are still friends.
I may bust on you a little. But, in the end its none of my business how anyone spends their money.
I think this RR is a cool little ride. I have no use for it but it is cool.

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
I wouldn't have even drove out after seeing 5500 over sticker.
Why people pay over list price for an item that looses value, Iā€™ll never get it.
Depreciation is crazy. Mine is only six months old and it's worth like $11k less than MSRP already and $5kish less than what we paid before taxes and all the closing fees and crap got tacked on.

It loses almost $1k/month šŸ˜³

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Depreciation is crazy. Mine is only six months old and it's worth like $11k less than MSRP already and $5kish less than what we paid before taxes and all the closing fees and crap got tacked on.

It loses almost $1k/month šŸ˜³
The Raptor, like few select models on the truck market, do not depreciate like standard trims. I don't care what Kelly, NADA, or any of the standard books say.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Naww, give it time and at least wait until next years version. Maybe by then they'll stabilize in price some or you'll realize your Tremor is just fine.

1719920355270-e7.gif

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Magic words Paid off!

+1000!! I hate debt and have none which is a huge relief especially now when everything is so expensive. I do use my credit card and charge everything I can every month for the points but pay it in full.

yep!....Mine is paid for and I can't pay 100% cash for a new one.....I could trade in but I still would have a big nut to pay every month.....between sales tax and interest rates.....ouch!......not to mention even a "modest" $5K dealer mark-up.......

I just have to keep telling myself......My Tremor is great....my Tremor is great......you don't need a RR......memory seats aren't worth it......the gas milage on the RR sucks......but damn it why do I still want one?!!....LOL
That was a large factor too when I was debating on getting the Raptor. All that extra money and higher insurance for what? I just couldn't justify spending that much more for so little gain. Looking back I'm glad I didn't because now that we've moved and are building a new house that extra money (if needed) will be better spent going towards that. A house will appreciate in value unlike a vehicle which depreciates the minute you drive away. But I do know where you're coming from because every time I see a picture of one the wheels inside start turning again. lol

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Mine has the Ford tune and Iā€™m at 6 seconds. I havenā€™t really tried too many times but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™ll go faster than 6
Nice write up.
I only did two runs, one before and one after the Gibson exhaust install. after was 5.8s. At least that's what the app said. I learned real fast not to leave loose stuff laying up on the dash.

mgrmax

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger
Occupation
Contractor
Nice write up.
I only did two runs, one before and one after the Gibson exhaust install. after was 5.8s. At least that's what the app said. I learned real fast not to leave loose stuff laying up on the dash.
Iā€™m curious if a CAI would help the turbo spool faster.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Iā€™m curious if a CAI would help the turbo spool faster.
mebbe, I'm pretty happy where it is now. I smoked a taco just the other day. Same one I had pulled up next to a couple of months ago. I just let him go that time. This time I just couldn't resist.

OP
OP
Jackpot Tremor

Jackpot Tremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Naww, give it time and at least wait until next years version. Maybe by then they'll stabilize in price some or you'll realize your Tremor is just fine.

1719920355270-e7.gif

words of wisdom my friend!!.....I'm an impulse buyer......but I also know my 2021 Lariat Tremor is only worth around $30K which sucks as it only has 30,600 miles on it and in great condition......so I would have to finance ALOT......and between the interest rates and sales tax and the dealer mark-up, it all just doesn't make sense....I need to be happy with what I have!! Afterall, It's a tuned 2021 Lariat Tremor with an engine cover and hood struts......I know what I have an it's a unicorn....kinda!...LOLOL

OGMix376

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Ranger Tremor
Occupation
House Maintenance Technician ;)
words of wisdom my friend!!.....I'm an impulse buyer......but I also know my 2021 Lariat Tremor is only worth around $30K which sucks as it only has 30,600 miles on it and in great condition......so I would have to finance ALOT......and between the interest rates and sales tax and the dealer mark-up, it all just doesn't make sense....I need to be happy with what I have!! Afterall, It's a tuned 2021 Lariat Tremor with an engine cover and hood struts......I know what I have an it's a unicorn....kinda!...LOLOL
Dang fat fingered the post reply before I could write šŸ˜…ā€¦
But yeah right now the RR current price is at the level of people who will make the purchase to make the purchase to brag about itā€¦ like how you hear about people who buy expensive gold or platinum chains with all sorts of diamonds (personally I donā€™t wear jewelry other than my wedding band so thatā€™s why I think jewelry is kinda pointless.) but we need those types to buy the vehicle go through the dealer service and warranty hoops, so the manufacturer can release the 2.0 versions (along the lines of donā€™t buy the first year ideology.) which is why the Mrs and I made the plan to wait another 16-18 months before getting one they released in October 23 or so in the us i believe (I could be wrong about that but ya.) so we figured by October 2025 that gave them plenty of time to avoid the rush, let them figure out any less than ideal quirks that need fixā€™n, and (hopefully) the price as you mentioned will stabilizeā€¦ not a perfect plan, not the best plan, and not a plan that is for everyone, however itā€™s our plan that we agreed on and both of us feel pretty good about itā€¦
Also I truly I am set on it and still trying to talk myself out of it, but only got as far as well if there arenā€™t any new ones available at the time to purchase get a used one šŸ˜…
Personally canā€™t fall into the impulse buyer category because this has been a goal I set since the Ranger came back to the states.. the tremor is the impulse buy, because my beater I bought off my cousin for basically $100 and a ride to the Chevy dealer so he could get the small suv he purchased (traverse I think)ā€¦ that got hit real bad by a guy who ran a red light.. I didnā€™t sue him.. and went to the ford store instead of the hospital šŸ˜‰.. because I was thinking dang it I need a ride to get to work tomorrowā€¦ so now I have the Ranger Tremor.. is that technically a impulse buy?

Last edited:

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Dang fat fingered the post reply before I could write šŸ˜…ā€¦
But yeah right now the RR current price is at the level of people who will make the purchase to make the purchase to brag about itā€¦ like how you hear about people who buy expensive gold or platinum chains with all sorts of diamonds (personally I donā€™t wear jewelry other than my wedding band so thatā€™s why I think jewelry is kinda pointless.) but we need those types to buy the vehicle go through the dealer service and warranty hoops, so the manufacturer can release the 2.0 versions (along the lines of donā€™t buy the first year ideology.) which is why the Mrs and I made the plan to wait another 16-18 months before getting one they released in October 23 or so in the us i believe (I could be wrong about that but ya.) so we figured by October 2025 that gave them plenty of time to avoid the rush, let them figure out any less than ideal quirks that need fixā€™n, and (hopefully) the price as you mentioned will stabilizeā€¦ not a perfect plan, not the best plan, and not a plan that is for everyone, however itā€™s our plan that we agreed on and both of us feel pretty good about itā€¦
Also I truly I am set on it and still trying to talk myself out of it, but only got as far as well if there arenā€™t any new ones available at the time to purchase get a used one šŸ˜…
Personally canā€™t fall into the impulse buyer category because this has been a goal I set since the Ranger came back to the states.. the tremor is the impulse buy, because my beater I bought off my cousin for basically $100 and a ride to the Chevy dealer so he could get the small suv he purchased (traverse I think)ā€¦ that got hit real bad by a guy who ran a red light.. I didnā€™t sue him.. and went to the ford store instead of the hospital šŸ˜‰.. because I was thinking dang it I need a ride to get to work tomorrowā€¦ so now I have the Ranger Tremor.. is that technically a impulse buy?
I read some of this.
Sponsored