keypad reset?

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I never setup my keypad and I do not know the factory code.

Is there a way to reset the thing?
Sponsored

notsolinear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
I’m pretty sure it’s not. I went deep down this rabbit hole and read through other existing threads on this forum and the end answer was that the Ranger keypad is different from all the other Ford keypads and none of the reset mechanisms other than the factory code work with it. Also to my knowledge no dealership has ever been able to lookup the lost factory code.

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
It's in the owners manual
That is a problem, my truck did not have one. I'm guessing someone took it out. bought it new in Seattle (I live south of Portland, 4+ hours away)

TruckNorris

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician
Ok, looks like you need to contact the dealer for factory code retrieval. You need the factory code in order to create a personal code

leanit

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
When I picked up my used 2022 at a Ford dealership last month, it was missing the door key code. The guy said it can be retrieved (or reset?) with a full scan they can do in their shop. It costs a couple bucks for the minimum shop charge. It might also be written on some computer tucked behind the dash that isn't easy to see. That's what he said, and seemed to know his stuff. Any chance this shows up in Forscan?

notsolinear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
When I picked up my used 2022 at a Ford dealership last month, it was missing the door key code. The guy said it can be retrieved (or reset?) with a full scan they can do in their shop. It costs a couple bucks for the minimum shop charge. It might also be written on some computer tucked behind the dash that isn't easy to see. That's what he said, and seemed to know his stuff. Any chance this shows up in Forscan?
I don’t discourage anyone from trying to see if their dealer has success, but several of us have already been told various solutions like that by our dealer that ended up to be false, for the Ranger specifically (shocking, right?). Just don’t be surprised if it doesn’t work, and yes the consensus seems to be that ordering a new one is the simplest or only fix.

For reference: One earlier thread. Another thread.

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Note: I do not have a keypad, so I can only provide information relayed from other owners who have experienced this issue.
For most I believe the keypad is just there and not being used, then when the owner decides to try it out, they cannot get it to work and either the card was never installed, or the owner threw it out or lost it (NOT KNOWING) the value of keeping it in a safe place.
or
The Truck is traded in and resold, that card (if it was installed in the Glove Box is tossed in the trash) when the original owner cleans it out.

If you have a wallet card in the Glove Box (With the Owner's Manual and Other Paperwork)
then it's an easy process.
If not (Replace the Keypad)

Reason, Dealers are either UNABLE or UNWILLING to dig deep into the retrieval process to obtain the Factory or Aftermarket (Which is a Dealer Install) keypad.
If that code was not inputted into that Dealer Access system, which it appears that it is NOT a normal procedure to do, you will ONLY have the card in the Glove Box and that is dependent on IF the technician who installed the Keypad was attentive enough to place it there or tossed it into the trash can with the packaging it came in.

Note: The Keypad code IS NOT stored in any modules on the truck so a scan tool cannot read it.
The only codes that can be retrieved are for the FOB's not the Keypad.

Note: This SSM is not Ranger Specific, it covers various models and to my knowledge the Ranger does not have a wired variation of the Keypad only wireless.

Wireless Keypad - Code.jpg

This is an EXAMPLE of what the Wallet Card looks like via Google Search

1707987288290.png

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Note: I do not have a keypad, so I can only provide information relayed from other owners who have experienced this issue.
For most I believe the keypad is just there and not being used, then when the owner decides to try it out, they cannot get it to work and either the card was never installed, or the owner threw it out or lost it (NOT KNOWING) the value of keeping it in a safe place.
or
The Truck is traded in and resold, that card (if it was installed in the Glove Box is tossed in the trash) when the original owner cleans it out.

If you have a wallet card in the Glove Box (With the Owner's Manual and Other Paperwork)
then it's an easy process.
If not (Replace the Keypad)

Reason, Dealers are either UNABLE or UNWILLING to dig deep into the retrieval process to obtain the Factory or Aftermarket (Which is a Dealer Install) keypad.
If that code was not inputted into that Dealer Access system, which it appears that it is NOT a normal procedure to do, you will ONLY have the card in the Glove Box and that is dependent on IF the technician who installed the Keypad was attentive enough to place it there or tossed it into the trash can with the packaging it came in.

Note: The Keypad code IS NOT stored in any modules on the truck so a scan tool cannot read it.
The only codes that can be retrieved are for the FOB's not the Keypad.

Note: This SSM is not Ranger Specific, it covers various models and to my knowledge the Ranger does not have a wired variation of the Keypad only wireless.

Wireless Keypad - Code.jpg

This is an EXAMPLE of what the Wallet Card looks like via Google Search

1707987288290.png
i find it shocking that that picture of the card code doesn't have a huge "Warning! Do Not Discard!" label of some kind. That's a huge miss by Ford if they don't have that written anywhere on the card (unsure if it's on the back or located somewhere else).

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I have looked everywhere.... Searching all over google other Fords say that it is on the BCM Module (NOPE). Then there is the key switching technique to display the code on your dash (NO GO). I realize now that this code is programmed into the BCM and replacing the keypad won't solve my issue. Forscan doesn't seem to be able to retrieve it either. I guess it's time to call FORD. I can't believe that code isn't somewhere built into my truck.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I dug some on this and found something in the APIM (Using the F-150 Spreadsheet)

Now I DO NOT KNOW if this will do anything or work, but it may be worth a try. I do not have the Keypad so IDK.

APIM - 7DO-01-02 -With ASS - 022A-0000-888E
W/Out ASS - 020A-0000-886E
xxxA=Keypad Menu Not Available
xxxB=Keypad Menu Available

So, you might try changing the A to B, that will POSSIBLY enable the menu on the IPC like you see in the videos.

This is UNTESTED and was just a find - It may or may not work.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I have looked everywhere.... Searching all over google other Fords say that it is on the BCM Module (NOPE). Then there is the key switching technique to display the code on your dash (NO GO). I realize now that this code is programmed into the BCM and replacing the keypad won't solve my issue. Forscan doesn't seem to be able to retrieve it either. I guess it's time to call FORD. I can't believe that code isn't somewhere built into my truck.
I believe the code is hard-coded into the keypad, not the truck, and needs to the entered into the PATS system on the truck to tie the keypad to the truck. Sort of like the chips in your key fob. Only way to do this is to use the Ford software. The code is also needed to program a new personal code into the keypad. That way there is nothing to tie the code to your VIN anywhere. Where it is stored in PATS is probably only writable not readable for security reasons.

Lose the code have to buy new keypad and have dealer program the new code in.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
I'm assuming this is the elusive remote keypad card I would need to use in case I "remove" my keypad from my 2019 5g and try to re-install it on my new 2024 6g, should it ever get delivered! And assume it would have to be set up by the dealer once I 3M it back on my new truck....yes it is the size of a credit card and was in my glove box...

remote keypad.jpg
Sponsored