khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So, per the title, my keypad has stopped working. Doing some research (and using common sense), the battery died. So I've learned a few things.

1) The battery lasts about 5 years.
2) When the battery is low, it unlocks/lock/unlocks when you input a code in order to warn you as a driver. I noticed that it was going funky, but I didn't know that meant that it was a dead battery, but looking around online, that's the signal that your battery is low.
3) Ford says that the battery is not replacable.

My question to all of you - I know you can pull it off with floss and some polishing. And as such, is the rationale that Ford says that the battery isn't replaceable because it's not designed for service, but with some elbow grease, I'm good to put a new battery in it and have it all work... Or has it lost its programming and I need to bring it back to the dealership to program / replace with a new one?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
So, per the title, my keypad has stopped working. Doing some research (and using common sense), the battery died. So I've learned a few things.

1) The battery lasts about 5 years.
2) When the battery is low, it unlocks/lock/unlocks when you input a code in order to warn you as a driver. I noticed that it was going funky, but I didn't know that meant that it was a dead battery, but looking around online, that's the signal that your battery is low.
3) Ford says that the battery is not replacable.

My question to all of you - I know you can pull it off with floss and some polishing. And as such, the rationale that Ford says that the battery isn't replaceable is because it's not designed for service... But with some elbow grease, I'm good to put a new battery in it and it all work... Or has it lost its programming and I need to bring it back to the dealership to program / replace with a new one?

Thanks!
Interesting question. I have read that the battery is replaceable with some McGyvering, but I don't know if the factory code would be lost when the battery is removed.

I'd be tempted to try it, and if it doesn't work or can't be reset, I'd have to buy a new one anyway.

I could really go crazy and run a fuse tap from the horn fuse through the door and drill a small hole in the door skin and hardwire the module. My 2009 Mariner came stock with the keypad wired to the power lock controller and it still works, even the keypad lights.

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I'll be interested to find out how this goes. It's something I'll have to face in a few years.

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
This has been my biggest hesitancy about ordering a keypad for my truck. I really wished it was hardwired. Stick on just feels like an afterthought especially when they hardwired one for the maverick.

SDXLT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
I would try it out. It's $100 for the keypad and then whatever the dealer charges to program it. It is not possible to program yourself. My dealer wanted $280 to install it until I got my sales guy to get them to do it for free.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
How often do you use it? I have gotten in the habit of using the app to unlock. I also made it so all the doors unlock the first time. All this to limit use of the keypad. The one on my Focus lasted about 7 years using it almost all the time. I am going to try to access the battery when this one dies, got nothing to lose.

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
How often do you use it? I have gotten in the habit of using the app to unlock. I also made it so all the doors unlock the first time. All this to limit use of the keypad. The one on my Focus lasted about 7 years using it almost all the time. I am going to try to access the battery when this one dies, got nothing to lose.
I have the 1-click unlock on for all doors. I love it. I've gotten so used to it I forget to click it 2x for other cars so everyone is just standing waiting for me to click it again while I hop in in ignorant bliss haha.
Sponsored