License plate cover/protector

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Has anyone found a license plate cover that fits well on the front bracket, preferably smoked? My front plate sticks out like a sore thumb and I’d like to darken it up a bit.

I’ve had them on other vehicles but nothing seems to fit well without modifying them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
No one at all?

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
It is illegal to obstruct your license plate in Az because the photo speed radar couldn't read it.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Has anyone found a license plate cover that fits well on the front bracket, preferably smoked? My front plate sticks out like a sore thumb and I’d like to darken it up a bit.

I’ve had them on other vehicles but nothing seems to fit well without modifying them.
Yup. Got mine at Canadian Tire iirc. I'll go take a pic in a min... I seem to recall I trimmed the bottom of the license plate bracket to get it to fit, but it works.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
It's too damn cold out, otherwise I'd remove the cover and plate to show you. I trimmed that little piece that holds the bottom edge of the plate on. I then drilled two new holes in the bracket for screws. Careful of the screw length or you'll touch the bumper itself. I used black plastic washers to take up the space so the screw wasn't cutting into the bumper.

IMG_20200129_220005.jpg

Last edited:

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is illegal to obstruct your license plate in Az because the photo speed radar couldn't read it.
I’m not sure of the reasoning but it’s illegal here too, but many including myself have used them for years without getting into trouble!

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's too damn cold out, otherwise I'd remove the cover and plate to show you. I trimmed that little piece that holds the bottom edge of the plate on. I then drilled two new holes in the bracket for screws. Careful of the screw length or you'll touch the bumper itself. I used black plastic washers to take up the space so the screw wasn't cutting into the bumper.

IMG_20200129_220005.jpg
Thanks, that looks different than the one I had that wouldn’t work. I’ll pick one up next time I’m out!

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Thanks, that looks different than the one I had that wouldn’t work. I’ll pick one up next time I’m out!
A word of caution, it's something I discovered today.

I read in another thread about rear license plate covers and the fact they were slightly rubbing the bottom of the tailgate when the tailgate is fully down. I checked and my cover was rubbing. A few minutes with a belt sander and all was well again. I sanded the pockets where the screws go and the a bit of the top half of the lip (all on the backside of the cover) so that the cover would tilt slightly toward the truck. This gave just enough clearance to work. Also, it would appear as though I drilled holes for bottom screws. Forgot about that

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A word of caution, it's something I discovered today.

I read in another thread about rear license plate covers and the fact they were slightly rubbing the bottom of the tailgate when the tailgate is fully down. I checked and my cover was rubbing. A few minutes with a belt sander and all was well again. I sanded the pockets where the screws go and the a bit of the top half of the lip (all on the backside of the cover) so that the cover would tilt slightly toward the truck. This gave just enough clearance to work. Also, it would appear as though I drilled holes for bottom screws. Forgot about that
Thanks. My dealer plate frame was definitely touching the tailgate so I removed it. I don’t think I’ll put a cover on the back, just the front one that looks out of place to try to cover it up.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
FWIW... link to the cover I used on my Ranger front plate: HenryMac's Build Thread: 2019 Ranger XL STX FX4 Magnetic Super Cab

Looks good if you have a Magnetic or Black painted front bumper. :like:

Plate Front.JPG

Rear plate proximity to the tailgate is another dopey Ford miscue. I ended up modifying a black frame by mounting it backwards and grinding down the plastic.

The big thick frame the dealer installed would have worn the paint off the tailgate! :facepalm:

Plate Rear Trimmed.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Last edited:
OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)