First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Looking like the Ranger may be heading for hibernation again. Sales for the first 1/4 of 2024... over 39K for the Maverick, around 153K for the F150, and fewer than 2K for the Ranger. I don't see Ford keeping the model around with such poor sales.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Looking like the Ranger may be heading for hibernation again. Sales for the first 1/4 of 2024... over 39K for the Maverick, around 153K for the F150, and fewer than 2K for the Ranger. I don't see Ford keeping the model around with such poor sales.
What’s behind the Ranger and Bronco sales numbers?

However, Ford North America’s director of communications, Said Deep, told Carscoops that Ranger sales were artificially low (or rather non existent) because the new model has only just started shipping to dealers, and its sales will only start trickling in this month. We’ll remind you here that last year’s UAW strike happened just as Ford was starting production of the new Ranger.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Full size sales figures are down year to year. Mid size sales are up year to year. Seems counter intuitive to Ranger sales, right?

Well, by the end of Q1 2024 every dealership basically only had 1 or 2 non raptor rangers at best (from what i saw here in my ohio region). So sales figures were probably only preorders (which we know were poor) and rare luck purchases.

The most important thing I think is with full size sales figures down Ford tossed in 2.9% APR for 72 months, and later dropped that to 1.9% for 72 months. Then they ran that weird stair step program. My local dealer had an awesome F-150 that sticker at $67k marked down to $58k because they were so close to the goal in that stair step program. Still qualified for the 1.9%. Now in april ford dropped the 2023 F150 interest rate to 0% for 72 in my region.

My point is, the full sizes got great interest rate incentives to attack their dipping sales that enhanced buying power for consumers who might consider it. Meanwhile, anyone buying a Ranger was taking a 5% or 6%+ interest rate shot in the shorts.

$45k Ranger no money down @6% for 72 = ~$796/mo
$58k F150 no money down @1.9% for 72 = ~$910/mo
*using my local 6.75% tax rate in Ohio

I think someone spending $800 will probably stretch $100 more to get a full size. Especially when there's basically no inventory of mid size rangers on lots for Jan/Feb, and there are 1-3 ranger raptors available by late march per dealer.. maybe.. (a $56k ranger raptor is $990/mo under the above rates).

tl;dr, poor availability of the ranger coupled with higher interest rates on the ranger = lower sales. Q2 2024 ought to be better data for ford, imo.

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
1- UAW strike during the critical production period in 2023 for 2024 rangers. there is a significant gap in inventory - cant sell what doesn't exist. its not like dealers are overflowing with 2023 rangers rn. my dealer doesn't have a single one on the lot.
2- why run out and buy a leftover 2023 when the 2024's are shipping and better (subjectively) in almost every single way?

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
I think you're kinda jumping the gun with the suggestion that Ford might drop the Ranger line due to poor sales in the first quarter. A quarter in which they weren't building any meaningful numbers of Rangers.

That being said, it does seem like Ford has no interest in selling Rangers, as witnessed with the 5G and the lack of any meaningful advertising for that generation, and the nonexistent advertising for the 6G. I think they'll keep the Ranger in NA but keep sales minimal as not to hurt F150 sales. JMO

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I think you're kinda jumping the gun with the suggestion that Ford might drop the Ranger line due to poor sales in the first quarter. A quarter in which they weren't building any meaningful numbers of Rangers.

That being said, it does seem like Ford has no interest in selling Rangers, as witnessed with the 5G and the lack of any meaningful advertising for that generation, and the nonexistent advertising for the 6G. I think they'll keep the Ranger in NA but keep sales minimal as not to hurt F150 sales. JMO
I agree this is most likely the thought process, although Ford would never confirm this. I think at the end of the day, the number one priority is to not do anything that might allow them to lose the "# 1 selling vehicle" status for the F-Series - although if they re-badged the Ranger the "F-100", they could include it in the "F-Series" sales.

I think the sales numbers come down to (as others have said) "you can't sell what you don't make". I just searched dealers around here and while there are a few on lots, there are not many. For months there have been ZERO Rangers on dealer lots. When the 5G production was in full swing, the larger dealers had 10-12 and the smaller dealers had 1-3.

OP
OP

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Okay, Okay! Just was regurgitating what I saw online. Maybe should have dove deeper? Naw, easier just to post and watch the results. Love my Ranger and hope they'll be around for a long time.

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Okay, Okay! Just was regurgitating what I saw online. Maybe should have dove deeper? Naw, easier just to post and watch the results. Love my Ranger and hope they'll be around for a long time.
Similar to trolling.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Just got an email from Carvana that they had increased their offer on my Ranger by $1200.

Not sure why, but sounds good to me.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Cause frankly it's a ripoff.

Screenshot from 2024-04-18 07-18-59.png

I paid $29k for this model in 2020 - a 4x4 Sport XLT. People see a retarded price like this and either step down to the Maverick or up to the F150.
That is exactly what I paid for my 2020 Sport XLT 4x4 with locking rear. But hey "there ain't no inflation!
Sponsored