First Name
Raja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Psychiatrist
With gas up to $3.60 a gallon, I started looking at the F150. Couldn’t believe the prices. I was able to get a ‘23 XLT with the extended range battery for $54K OTD (including the max tow and tow tech pkgs). I’ll miss the old girl…lots of great camping trips, tons of memories these last few years.

IMG_3875.jpeg
Sponsored

Saucy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor, 2019 Hyundai Kona
Occupation
Software Slave
300ish miles of range with the extension that's plenty for most. Congrats, it's a really neat truck with lots of cool tech, and skipping the gas pump is a win for sure. I put 91+ in the ranger and we've surpassed 4$ gallon, I totally get it. It's also wild that the fuel economy is still on par with most regular F150 models.

I would personally have a difficult time trading in the ranger for one because of the distance towing and off-road applications, but I don't drive much to begin with so 🤷‍♂️

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Congrats. For me towing range kills it. If your not towing its a great truck and camping should be even better due to the large mobile generator built right in. I am really hoping Ford gives us a Ranger PHEV sooner rather than later.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I am really hoping Ford gives us a Ranger PHEV sooner rather than later.
Fingers crossed, they've said they're not bringing it to the US, but hopefully, they'll change their mind.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
They really do look sharp. I hope it works out for you Raja and meets all your needs.

Av8or1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2022 Ford Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Congrats! My wife bought a Mach-E and WOW do I love it, EV's just drive so great and comfortably. So much so that I'm actively using the Ranger to build it's replacement. I still need off-road capability so I'm building a dedicated off-roader, but when that's done I'll go the same route as you and get a Lightning or what ever other EV truck might be out at the time.

Enjoy your new ride! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Raja150

Raja150

First Name
Raja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Psychiatrist
Thanks Guys! I’ll be peeking in here periodically to see what’s new. Yeah, I wish Ford announced a PHEV Ranger. I heard they’re doing it for the Explorer so the platforms out there.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Are you able to charge it at your house? Garage? Do you have to add anything to be able to charge it, like a special outlet?

OP
OP
Raja150

Raja150

First Name
Raja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Psychiatrist
@got3fords:

I had my electrician extend the dryers 240 volt outlet to the garage. Cost about $1000 for the install, but it allows me to level 2 charge (Ford provides all the chargers you’ll need). I can “fill up the tank” by plugging it in overnight.

Electricity costs me about 1/3 of what I’d pay for gas for the same 300 miles

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
That's a good price for the Lightning, about the same as an ICE F150.
What I like about the Lightning is that it looks like the F150, not some want to be spaceship like the Cyber Truck or Rivian.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
What I like about the Lightning is that it looks like the F150, not some want to be spaceship like the Cyber Truck or Rivian.
I admit I am chomping at the bit to see the new Rivian R3 in person. . . That thing looks like a fun little car.

The R1T and R1S look to bubble like for me tastes.

But like @ctechbob I am looking forward to a PHEV Ranger being brought to the states. I think it will check many more boxes than some realize. . .

OP
OP
Raja150

Raja150

First Name
Raja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Psychiatrist
😅. The Rivian looks like it belongs in a Disney cartoon!

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Wow great looking Lightning Raja! I am leaning towards the E-Stang maybe in a couple of years when I retire. I would not trade the Ranger in on it though as I really need and love my Ranger. Please keep us posted on your thoughts of ownership with your Lightning.

dano42

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Retired!
$3.60 a gallon? Nice. We are over $5 bucks for regular. Fortunately I don’t have to drive much anymore (retired) so topping off for $50 every couple weeks isn’t a big deal. Electricity is expensive in California as well, but still cheaper than gas, especially if you put solar in before they changed the rules. Call me old school, but the charging issues are still a deal breaker for me. At some point our government will force the issue on us, and I’ll deal with it then.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Really glad you are happy with the Lightning! Hope it treats you well. And really really really happy you aren't a Tesla fanboy.

For me? Not understanding the math. So, gas is @ $3.60 in your area. Estimate 20K miles annually, average 20 MPG for a gas cost of $3600. Ranger was paid off, or close, I assume. Lets say you got $30K for the Ranger. So you owed $24K (minus any payoff for Ranger?) to take the Lightning off the lot. Simply using the $3600 annual gas savings cost you are looking at a 6.7 year payback.

But you then need to add in the electrician charge for the house upgrade. Possible annual tax difference due to the value of the vehicles. Insurance cost difference? Now figure the cost of the monthly electrical consumption versus what the Ranger would have used in gas. Increased tire wear and replacement cose due to the weight of EV's versus Ranger. (Based on mine. Already clear that I'll easily get 80K+ miles on the OEM rubber.)

On the positive side, any tax credits available due to being green? (Never mind how the electricity was produced. Got to love politicians.) CA has, or had some nice incentives. Lot of other places, not so much.

Residual value? Can be an unknown can of worms for EV's.

Intangibles. Range limits and resulting aggravation? And trip routing limits due to charging infrastructure? I personally love taking backroads when I travel. (Not with the warden. Drives her nuts.) These two are 100% based on the individual. For me, huge negatives. For others? Nonissue.

Glad it works for you. And very happy it's a Ford! But in my world the numbers just don't jive.
Sponsored