Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Nice looking truck! I had a similar thought as you. I wasn't aware the Lightning had extended-range options. It's certainly an intriguing offer with all the dealer discounts stacked with federal and state incentives. If EVs could get 400+ miles per charge, I'd be all in. For now,I am glad to still have the OG Ford Lightning in the family lol :sunglasses:
1714062170251-zd.jpg
why 400+ miles?

the ranger doesn't even do that.

not many vehicles with a standard, factory, fuel tank do.
Sponsored

conwash

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Product Manager
why 400+ miles?

the ranger doesn't even do that.

not many vehicles with a standard, factory, fuel tank do.
400+ range is purely subjective. That'd be a competitive advantage, IMO, for manufacturers to out-compete ICEs with longer ranges. It's not an issue with the Ranger, or other cars, because there are tens of thousands of gas stations across the country, so I never think of how far a full tank will take me. We're not quite there yet with charging stations. If they could pump up the range on EVs so I can travel greater distances and worry less about charging, I'd be all in.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I like the Rivians as well but those headlights...

The R3 headlights look like Dyson air air purifiers. :LOL:
Have you heard the Rivians? They actually sound like Dysons, well vacuum cleaners I mean.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
The Lightning is completely practical for me. I’m not a retired” Grumpaw”. I have young kids and play Uber driver for their activities. The bed is perfect for their dirty/wet gear. My business has frequent infrastructure stuff…construction etc. So having a truck to move/haul stuff is good. We go camping once a month. YMMV, but to say an electric pickup is impractical….no
I understand, and as was posted I should state the Lightning "is not for me". And as for range, it would of course depend on what your hauling in the bed and what your towing.
For us, and towing a 7000 lb camper, a range of around 100 miles or so between charging's is not adequate at all. Yeah, have to stop around every 175 miles to gas up, but that takes just a few minutes. And having to search out charging stations that can accommodate a truck/trailer being parked while charging is not feasible going from stop to stop.
You camp locally, so you don't need long range, but I do long ranges, and as an example up to Alaska via the Alcan. And I doubt you will find charging stations every 100 miles or so....there are streches of several hundred miles where you won't even see a gas station much less somewhere to plug in.
For your use it may suit your needs just fine, but until they develop an EV truck with a decant range in one stretch while towing, maybe 300 miles or so, it's not for us

Last edited:

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
I'm planning a trip To Northern Saskatchewan and Alberta in June for about six weeks.
The first thing I did was route gas stations and opening times along with Ford dealerships.

The 150 to 160 mile range between fill-ups is a pain. (topping off the tank).
There are limitations on everything.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Nice looking truck! I had a similar thought as you. I wasn't aware the Lightning had extended-range options. It's certainly an intriguing offer with all the dealer discounts stacked with federal and state incentives. If EVs could get 400+ miles per charge, I'd be all in. For now,I am glad to still have the OG Ford Lightning in the family lol :sunglasses:
1714062170251-zd.jpg
Now that's a Lightning!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm planning a trip To Northern Saskatchewan and Alberta in June for about six weeks.
The first thing I did was route gas stations and opening times along with Ford dealerships.

The 150 to 160 mile range between fill-ups is a pain. (topping off the tank).
There are limitations on everything.
Been there, done that....up thru British Columbia and Yukon.....drive on the "top half" of your tank, and carry two 5 gallon cans along with you. You can route fuel stations along your way, but while the station may be there, doesn't mean it's open.
And premium.....HAHAHA !!!:crackup::crackup::crackup: In the back areas you'll get 84-85 octane, and you'll be happy to get it !!!

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Been there, done that....up thru British Columbia and Yukon.....drive on the "top half" of your tank, and carry two 5 gallon cans along with you. You can route fuel stations along your way, but while the station may be there, doesn't mean it's open.
And premium.....HAHAHA !!!:crackup::crackup::crackup: In the back areas you'll get 84-85 octane, and you'll be happy to get it !!!
ewww there are gas stations that don't sell premium?!?!?! yuck. lol

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
I have 2, 3-gallon cans.
I installed the Putco Molle bedside racks, Geeze they are proud of those.
Inside of bed starting to look like a forest fire fighter.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ewww there are gas stations that don't sell premium?!?!?! yuck. lol
Populated areas, yeah. But the rural areas....many "gas stations" consist of a small store with two fuel pumpa...one gas and one diesel. And it common to have a line of 5-10 vehicles in line for each waiting their turn. Don't feel like waiting...next "station" may be 100 miles further down the road, and no way to tell if it's even open !!!
An EV....they'll be laughing so hard they'll be peeing in their pants !!!!

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Populated areas, yeah. But the rural areas....many "gas stations" consist of a small store with two fuel pumpa...one gas and one diesel. And it common to have a line of 5-10 vehicles in line for each waiting their turn. Don't feel like waiting...next "station" may be 100 miles further down the road, and no way to tell if it's even open !!!
Ewwwwwww

Those areas sound icky.

I bet you can't even get a double, quad espresso machhiato with organic vegan nongmo gluten free oat milk there either.

😂

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
$3.60 a gallon? Nice. We are over $5 bucks for regular. Fortunately I don’t have to drive much anymore (retired) so topping off for $50 every couple weeks isn’t a big deal. Electricity is expensive in California as well, but still cheaper than gas, especially if you put solar in before they changed the rules. Call me old school, but the charging issues are still a deal breaker for me. At some point our government will force the issue on us, and I’ll deal with it then.
My wife has a PHEV Prius and we have solar, almost never put gas in it, I had to add a stabilizer because it sat in the tank so much. And with our solar it costs nothing to charge. But it is a town car 99% of the time.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Never understood why people use the "well gas cost X" rally cry in this instance.

The real story would be knowing the difference between what you owe on the Ranger vs the $55,000 on the new e-truck. In most of these cases no one is "saving" any money, or some extremely long time frame has to expire before "breaking even" on what gas would have cost vs long term savings.

Like the argument, "I got rid of my used car that I owe $5,000 on and cost me $1,000 a year in maintenance and bought a new $55,000 car. I'm saving money yo"

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 APG Ranger Lariot
Awesome truck! Is insurance expensive on them? Our second car is a tesla for commuting and the insurance is ridiculous on the thing.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Yes that's the thing too is the insurance on Electric cars. They also go through tires faster than gas vehicles. What happens in 8 years when you need a $8,000 battery? I will stick with my 2020 Ranger for the foreseeable future. I will be riding my motorcycle a lot more with gas still being very high. $4.99 a gallon here for premium. I have been riding the last few weeks with the nice weather. Now it's back to the usual rain. Motorcycles are also a lot more fun anyway!!!!
Sponsored