First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 XLT
Occupation
Retired seller of Sugar Cane Equipment
My 2019 looks the same as the above post #31, just checked it works fine, released the lock and key is free, @ approx. 82,000 miles. Lots of it on mud or gravel farm roads.
Steve

Last edited:

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Just an FYI if you get the lockable plug you have to "key" it yourself. I would pay a dealer to do it if I ever need to again

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I never understood why the keyed cover was used. It 'locks' into relatively thin, soft plastic, that is easily defeated by any would be thief stealing your spare tire anyway. Barely even the illusion of security.

Also, never heard of a spare tire being stolen. Seems like a solution to a nonexistent problem. I remember other trucks just having an open hole between the bumper and tailgate, with no cover. It was tucked in and barely noticeable unless you were looking for it. No cover needed and worked perfectly.

I drop my spare twice a year to lubricate the hoist, and always do the lock cylinder as well. It's an unnecessary and potentially problematic hassle in the road side spare tire change.

fjwlobo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCREW
Nobody wants to steal the spare tire because the rim is like any other doughnut. It's only made for temporary use and not over 50 mph. My spare was a 17" and if you have 18" rims like I do, you definitely wouldn't be driving on it for long.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
it has nothing to do with the rim or the tire...the spare is not balanced to the rim, hence the 50 mph limit. Want to be able to drive faster on your spare? get it balanced

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Nobody wants to steal the spare tire because the rim is like any other doughnut. It's only made for temporary use and not over 50 mph. My spare was a 17" and if you have 18" rims like I do, you definitely wouldn't be driving on it for long.
My stock tires where the same. 17 inch rim spare was a 16 inch. But all tires where the same diameter, the tire put on the spare is a bigger tire to make up the difference, so that all tires are the same diameter.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
My 2019 looks the same as the above post #31, just checked it works fine, released the lock and key is free, @ approx. 82,000 miles. Lots of it on mud or gravel farm roads.
Steve
Same here, lots of mud roads. If it is frozen up and i cant take it off, nothing a punch and hammer cant fix.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Nissan Frontier S 4x4
I never understood why the keyed cover was used. It 'locks' into relatively thin, soft plastic, that is easily defeated by any would be thief stealing your spare tire anyway. Barely even the illusion of security.
I could rip mine out using the key itself. Quite sad the waste of time ford put into it.

HeatXfer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired Pipefitter & commercial HVACR Tech
Just checked my 2020 lariat. Had only checked it when I bought it and forgot about it. Shot some WD40 in it and turned the lock a few times.
WD-40 Police here: Not a lubricant: It only lubricates while its wet, after that it attracts dirt. I recommend LPS or Boeshield T-9 :)

Ohwell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
My Ranger also had a build date of 6/23, and I also just have the plastic plug.

moorejl57

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4, 501A, fully damped
Occupation
Engineer
Seems like a good case for a forum designed 3D printed one. Really don't need a keyed one.

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I havent needed to get the tire down yet, but I have tried my key in it and it dont unlock it, I guess if I ever need it I could just hammer it out, I just hope I dont need it in winter with 2 feet of snow on the ground :(
Sponsored