What did you do WITHOUT your Ranger today?

OP
OP
Kristina

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
Had my lessons with school vehicle and trailer. It’s a Toyota van. Today not only exercises but also city drive. Found out actually I can’t drive at all! 😳:facepalm: :stop:
Sponsored

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Had my lessons with school vehicle and trailer. It’s a Toyota van. Today not only exercises but also city drive. Found out actually I can’t drive at all! 😳:facepalm: :stop:
I have very serious doubts that you can't drive! I bet you tow a trailer better than 95% of folks out there!

1691169711073.png

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I have very serious doubts that you can't drive! I bet you tow a trailer better than 95% of folks out there!

1691169711073.png
Redneck thread?
Wanna see him back it in the water. :LOL:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Well at least your parking is good. ;)

OP
OP
Kristina

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

1691169711073.png
Oh no, I have no such experience like most of you do. But it was kind of shocking to find out I skip half of actions behind the wheel. 🤣
So, I went there confident I can drive and drove back and came to a conclusion no one in this traffic should ever have gotten their license!

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
OP
OP
Kristina

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dear Lord it's contagious! :shock:🤦‍♂️
My Ranger has this parking assist thing, but I tried it few times and not more.
Good feature, finds a parking space and does everything. Just a tiny problem is that she loves to park at bus stops and in front of yard gates…
And this parking assistance is just too creepy for me 👹

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
We'll call it practice - I installed Kate's Nextbase rear cam today. The front cam was wicked easy using a Dongar power tap dealio to get power from her mirror. I mean incredibly easy. If this very fat guy can do it, then so can you! =D

But that was a day late and a dollar short. I only ordered her Nextbase 622GW AFTER she was in a hit and run two weeks ago. An older fart than me, who should be a better person, decided to go straight from the left hand turn lane at a light and side-swiped Kate with his BMW suv and promptly floored it to head back to Maine. Unfortunately, no one got his tag ...

The front cam went in a few days later and I put off the rear cam until today ... BUT ... fate had other plans when Kate's left front bumper was side-swiped by a delivery or work truck while parked at her work (Tufts vet school) just this week!!! =(

Of course, I didn't have it set to parking mode because the Dongar is only ACC power and the Nextbase battery is only good for 10 minutes. Stoopid me, ten minutes may have caught the nefarious, yellow-bellied, coward of a truck driver (to be fair, maybe they didn't realize they scraped her). I figured if parking mode easily triggers then the battery would probably be dead for any real event. Talk about kicking myself in the butt over that one!

So I have a hardwire kit on the way so it can always be in parking mode. We'll see if she needs a dash cam specific battery pack. I'm not too worried about it killing her battery, the hardwire kit shuts down at a preset voltage, plus she'll carry a battery jumper for a while.

Back to what I did today without the Ranger ....

Running the rear cam wire wasn't too bad, the pillar between the front and rear doors was a little tight but it came out okay.

Soupie's Nextbase 622GW gets here Tuesday - front and rear too.

popping the hatchback trim was easy and exactly like I'd seen in a few YouTube videos
IMG_20230824_135609532_HDR.jpg

used a screwdriver with mineral oil to push the rear cam cable through the loom from the roof to the hatchback
IMG_20230824_140041011.jpg

nifty magnetic mount for the rear cam (140° @ 1080p)
IMG_20230824_144045095_HDR.jpg

you know, if they made the double-backed 3M tape on the mount with black, instead of white, it sure would be stealthier ... front cam (140° @ 4K)
IMG_20230824_144112000.jpg

front view
IMG_20230824_143950498_HDR.jpg

rear view - it can be set to mirror mode to flip the image like you're looking in a mirror. need Kate to help align the rear ... hey what's that awesome truck back there?
IMG_20230824_144000695_HDR.jpg

ugh, two weeks ago, stoopid lobster f#$ckah (no offense to Maine forum members who are far more honorable) =p
1692903636639.jpeg

then stoopid me w/o park mode on - this week's hit! Kate put 370,000 miles on two Corollas over a 16 year period and never had a claim, now two claims in two weeks! =(
IMG_20230824_144554315.jpg

instead of dwelling on the negative, just take a look at that incredible dump runner! wow, looks like a 303 Graphene success story - must be some wicked awesome person driving that thing! =D
IMG_20230824_144606416.jpg

Last edited:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Went on a 6 day fishing trip to Lake Ogascanan in Quebec, Canada without the Ranger. We did have an F250 in the group though.
6 of us left Saturday morning and checked into our Jaway's Outpost cabin Sunday morning and were on the Lake that afternoon after setting up camp. 6 days without contact with the rest of the world was awesome.
It's definitely off the beaten path with around 25 miles of 2 lane gravel road then 25 miles of bush road.
20230820_101923.jpg

The cabin was well appointed with sleeping for 8 including bunks, stove, running water, hot showers, fish cleaning house and a bathroom out back.
My old fat ass managed to climb up to the bunk without too much issue.

Cabin from the water:
20230821_185855a.jpg

Cabin from the island:
20230820_135940.jpg

A beautiful sunrise with a mist rising from the water, as viewed from the cabin. I had a great view of the water every morning from my bunk.
20230821_063339.jpg

The fishing was tough, 3 days of calm waters and clear sky's wasn't conducive to catching the walleyes we were after. Tried trolling, jigging, different lures, baits and all the areas they suggested but they just weren't jumping on the lines.
20230823_174806.jpg

A couple periods of rain along with clouds and wind did improve the situation somewhat at the end of the week but it was work to catch enough to put on 3 fish fries over the 6 days. We caught Northern Pike also but only kept one of those to try out filleting since they are so boney. It didn't taste bad.
The first fish dinner: Doesn't get much fresher...
20230821_212304.jpg

We would get up in the morning, get some caffeine in us, fish for a few hours, come back for a couple hours, grab something to eat and head back out for a few more hours, then dinner, drinks and bs around the campfire. Occasionally there was a nap in the afternoon before heading back out. We had a good group of guys of varying ages which made it fun even though the fishing was tough.

The guy who organized the trip has been doing these kinds of trips for about 10 years and has the necessities down to a science. I went on a fly-in fishing trip with some of this group 5 yrs ago with Air Ivanhoe. That fishing was much easier and you are even more isolated.

If you can't put down your phone for an hour, or have a fear of being left stranded, these trips are not recommended. ;)

Best thing about getting back was flushing toilets. And long hot showers.
Oh, and a soft comfy bed which I'm heading off to now.:like:
Sponsored