What happened to customer care and quality service?

Bullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
  1. I recently (10 days ago) took my 2019 to the dealer for a 'routine' oil change and tire rotation, prior to a long weekend road trip with my wife. During the trip I noticed a slow rattle in the front end when turning left. I discovered the cover over the oil filter was not replaced correctly and the holes in the cover for the clips were torn open.
    • I bought the truck with 7000 miles on it. It now has about 64,000 miles. I have ALWAYS taken it to the dealer for service and have NEVER accessed the cover over the filter myself. So I KNOW a technician, at one time, pulled the cover off rather than removing the clips. And most recently neglected to replace the cover correctly.
  2. The oil change prior to this one, my truck was returned to me with a LARGE scrape and dent on the driver's side of the truck. Needless to say I was P!$$ED. This resulted in the dealership footing the bill for body repair.
These were 2 incidents in a row where the dealership was negligent. I get it, times are tough, with post-pandemic and all, and finding good help is difficult. But come on! The pandemic excuse is not valid anymore. If a dealer wants to excel, right now is the time to increase revenue by providing over-the-top service. People would be lining up at the door. (Though I wouldn't be one of them.)

I shouldn't need to take precautionary measures to ensure everything is in good shape after service is performed.

As a matter of fact, at the last oil change I purposely told the service tech the issue I experienced the last time I came in and the body damage caused to my truck. I did this to try and get them to attend to the details. Well.... so much for that.

But alas..... my pre-paid oil changes are gone and I will be servicing the truck myself from now on. I'm not a service technician, but I KNOW I can provide a better quality result than what is out there right now. :facepalm:
Sponsored

HippoTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Carbonized Gray Ranger Tremor
During my last oil change/tire rotation it looks like the tech just took the impact and drilled it on the face of my wheel for a solid second or two. The tops of the lug nuts are slightly rounded too, so he didn't bother to fully engage the impact before slamming the hell out of them.

I didn't notice until washing the truck a few weeks later so I can't 100% be sure and hence haven't chewed them out over it, but it's damage in a place that would be impossible to happen any other way.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Yet more examples of why my ass will be in the driveway changing the oil in my truck at some point this weekend.

Supplies were purchased last week in anticipation of the event.

Doing it myself will ensure that it will be done correctly. Done with care. And the process will proceed with no, zero, zilch, goose egg, nada rush in an attempt to "slap it back together and move to the next job." Icing on the cake... the truck will be periodically praised (and possibly caressed :inlove: ) with heart felt whispered sweet nothings throughout the process.

Edit: BTW, has anyone else ever noticed how much better your vehicle runs right after an oil change? Not just the Ranger, every machine. Hell even my mower. So smooth. Sounds so happy. And definitely more HP. Always makes me happy.

Last edited:

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
The shops get away with bad customer service because you/we/me keep going back even when they have failed multiple times.
"Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me thrice, I'm not too bright."

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
I've got a pretty good dealer and techs.
They may not be perfect, but they have done me right many times.

If you're unhappy with yours, there's avenues to take to make complaints.
R5G isn't one of them to get results, but it does give you an opportunity to vent and feel better

I do dealer maintenance 100%, not because I'm incapable, its just that I have better things to do with my time.

OP
OP
Bullet

Bullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
The shops get away with bad customer service because you/we/me keep going back even when they have failed multiple times.
I'm ceasing to frequent the dealer before I get to 'thrice' :thumbsup:

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I never bite on the free oil changes because in my experience, the wait time and subsequent second visit to fix what was done incorrectly on the free visit costs me more travel and wait time than just buying the oil and filter and doing it myself. That experience applies equally to Ford, GM and Toyota dealer service centers.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Unfortunately, oil and filter changes/tire rotations are going to be relegated to the new and inexperienced guys.

I understand that everyone has to start somewhere and experience is gained by doing, but that doesn't excuse being sloppy or lazy.

1614637514190-png.png

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Friday I always say doing it myself will ensure I blame the right guy. :crackup: 😉
Oh heck yea! :LOL: That has happened at my house a time or two through the years!!!!!!!! Been known to really give "the dumbass" hell too :explode::surprised::curse: while in the heat of the moment.

You made me LOL. Literally.

Suddenly I am a bit paranoid about this weekend's planned oil change. :oops::facepalm:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I thought the saying was:

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”
― George W. Bush

Anyway, I don't know about all this waiting for an oil change. Maybe it's just that we have a great dealer here.

Option 1: Make appointment. Arrive at 10 minutes early, they service truck, leave 45 minutes later.
Option 2: Call dealer, they pickup truck at AM, service truck, return PM. No additional charges to regular Quick Lane.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Correction...

"Fool me once...shame on...shame on you...fool me...you can't get fooled again..."

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase