5g vs. 6g comparison

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
This is a great visual comparison of the two trucks. I love my 5g, but I have to admit, in my opinion, seeing the trucks rolling side by side kinda makes the 5g look old. I like that the new truck has more space inside and gives a better layout to the console, plus it gives back some deleted content from the 5g. I historically keep my trucks at least 5 years, but when the 2.7 becomes available, I am going to have to give the 6g serious consideration.

Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
It is a good side by side visual comparison of the 5G and 6G. The 6G does have a wider and taller front end. The interior is a nice update from the 5G. He says that the 6G rides better and quieter, but that might be just salesman talk, I don't know. I will drive one eventually, but I am still very happy with my 5G.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
I'm sure it's just the perspective but it looks like an F150 along side the 5G.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
This guy is a clown and this is a silly comparison. Heā€™s comparing two different trim levels and appearance packages, a 5g XLT with no sport package versus a 6g Lariat, which is a higher trim level. My 19 is ā€œTwo-Toneā€, in that it has the Sport Package which gives the fender flares and bumpers a magnetic metallic color, just like on the 6g Lariat. The front fascia is also the same exact color as on the 6g. The ā€œmore space in the back seatā€ is ridiculous and false. They are fundamentally the same. He has the seat further forward on the 6g than he does on the 5g which gives the viewer the illusion of a little more leg room, but both trucks are gonna be tight in the rear seats for a 6ā€™2ā€ guy. (Look at the drivers seat in relation to the pillar to see the difference). What ā€œmassiveā€ rear window is he talking about? He talks about the 6g Lariat with LED headlight and a ā€œpush button startā€, but the 5g Lariat also has LED headlights and a ā€œpush button startā€. It also has the keyless entry feature and the keypad was also available on the 5g. No groundbreaking improvements there.

The 6g does have a fairly decent looking interior, but nothing really spectacular from the 5g version. The new Colorado has a much nicer design than the 6g Ranger. 6g has some nice tech, the 360 camera is nice. The foot steps in the rear bumpers is a good thing. The truck redesign is more boxy, but whether it looks better or not is purely subjective. This guy strikes me as your typical used car shyster salesman, trying to upsell a vehicle by showing these ā€œimprovementsā€ over past models, when in fact heā€™s comparing 2 different trims. There is nothing that the 6g offers now that would make me rush to go out and upgrade from my 5g. A Raptor may be in my future, unless they continue with the ridiculous ADMā€™s, and then that will push me to a Colorado or Frontier.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I'm sure it's just the perspective but it looks like an F150 along side the 5G.
Yeah, it's all camera tricks. Notice the 6G is always the closer of the two.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This guy is a clown
I noticed that at the beginning when he had he elbows on the fender. I'm sure the new owners of that vehicle will cherish the dents.

I'm honestly just tired of non-car people doing car reviews.

PA_RangerDanger

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat-Tremor
As stated above, pretty deceiving when you compare a ā€œbare bonesā€ XLT to a fully loaded Lariat. Looking past that, there are obvious upgrades on the 6G interior that canā€™t be denied (digital dash/12 inch screen/360 camera/etcā€¦.). Another obvious win for 6G is the 2.7 option. And I donā€™t hate the exterior look.

A 5G win that sold me was the tremor option. Off-road capability with an aggressive stance/look without raptor pricing. Before I picked up my ā€˜21 lariat tremor, I was pretty set on a 6G lariat with the 2.7. Looking into it more, I knew I was going to have to buy new wheels and tires straight away, which is pretty disappointing considering Im buying a 50k plus truck and canā€™t make it look the way I want from the factory. Thinking about it more, Iā€™m NOT surprised they donā€™t offer a lariat tremor in the 6Gā€¦.it would basically be a 5k price minimum upgrade to put it in the same price as a raptor, which they obviously donā€™t want to do IMO.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Upgrading from a 5G to a 6G only makes sense if you are moving to the Raptor if we are speaking purely on heart and not any sort of cosmetic updates.

The current 2.3 motor with a tuner is like installing a 2.7, but better because of other residual benefits (like updated e-throttle response).

The 2.7 in my new ZR2 is beefy and on paper the powerplant is stronger, but feels like a boat compared to my 19 XLT with a 93 performance tune. Unfortunately flash tunes are not nearly as user friendly (as in not at all) for the Chevy due to heavy encryption. All the user friendly tunes are piggy back systems which I'm not a fan of.

Don't get the wrong idea, still glad I moved to a new ZR2 for all the other new features my old truck was lacking, but it certainly lacks the rocket ship feeling my Ranger had.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Since my '20 Ranger's seat's were giving my wife's nerve damage in her back a fit, I had to sell the truck. I'm hoping the 6G's seats will be somehow different, because I would certainly like to have another. The size of the Ranger was perfect for me. I have a Ram 1500 now, and I swear that thing gets bigger everyday. :)

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Upgrading from a 5G to a 6G only makes sense if you are moving to the Raptor if we are speaking purely on heart and not any sort of cosmetic updates.

The current 2.3 motor with a tuner is like installing a 2.7, but better because of other residual benefits (like updated e-throttle response).

The 2.7 in my new ZR2 is beefy and on paper the powerplant is stronger, but feels like a boat compared to my 19 XLT with a 93 performance tune. Unfortunately flash tunes are not nearly as user friendly (as in not at all) for the Chevy due to heavy encryption. All the user friendly tunes are piggy back systems which I'm not a fan of.

Don't get the wrong idea, still glad I moved to a new ZR2 for all the other new features my old truck was lacking, but it certainly lacks the rocket ship feeling my Ranger had.
I agree Jack. I am looking at the Raptor unless they do ADMā€™s, then Iā€™m out. I like your ZR2, but not keen on all the issues Iā€™m reading about in ā€œColoradoFansā€ like battery drain, electronics, etc. Also the new Ultifi system is concerning with regard to possibly more paywalls for stuff. I hope they can get it straightened out. I see that they still have an Inmate number assigned to your old account. Lol

BTW, did you see the video that TFL did when they compared 7 midsized trucks in a drag race? I know it means little other than maybe some bragging rights, but they put the 2.3L Ranger up against the

Jeep Gladiator - 3.6L V6 Pentastar
Nissan Frontier - 3.8L V6
Honda Ridgeline - 3.5L VTec V6
Toyota Tacoma - 2.4L I4 Turbo
Chevy Colorado - 2.7L I4 High Output Turbo
Dodge Dakota - 5.9L V8 Magnum
Ford Ranger - 2.3L I4 Turbo

The Ranger beat all these trucks, even the 5.9L V8 Magnum Dakota. I was also surprised that the Coloradosā€™ 2.7 H.O. Lost to the Ranger.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I stopped watching when he said he wasn't sure if the 5G lariat had soft open tailgate. Without beating that dead horse joke, if you don't know that, go back to whatever the hell job you do for a living.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Compare the prices of both and the winner is? R5G, no contest...

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I would love the new radio LOL