5g vs. 6g comparison

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
Upgrading from a 5G to a 6G only makes sense if you are moving to the Raptor if we are speaking purely on heart and not any sort of cosmetic updates.

The current 2.3 motor with a tuner is like installing a 2.7, but better because of other residual benefits (like updated e-throttle response).

The 2.7 in my new ZR2 is beefy and on paper the powerplant is stronger, but feels like a boat compared to my 19 XLT with a 93 performance tune. Unfortunately flash tunes are not nearly as user friendly (as in not at all) for the Chevy due to heavy encryption. All the user friendly tunes are piggy back systems which I'm not a fan of.

Don't get the wrong idea, still glad I moved to a new ZR2 for all the other new features my old truck was lacking, but it certainly lacks the rocket ship feeling my Ranger had.
Yes, 6G Raptor really is something. 3 L V6 petrol I am talking about.
A good off-road truck I didnā€™t plan to start to use as a sort of rescue truck. šŸ˜†Wouldnā€™t been able to do it with my 5G.

My 5G and 6G Raptor, they canā€™t be compared. Better to say, choose a truck by your needs but not what it looks. Canā€™t complain later if bought wrong product.
I still love the look of my 5G more, the interior and 6G itself is too big for me (Iā€™m tiny) but I canā€™t say any other vehicle I love more than this one šŸ„°
Sadly no Chevy trucks on sale in here.

DF6E4402-B0D9-43DA-8AC2-5751B8181B46.jpeg

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
One thing that really caught my eye on the 6G was reading that it has 48" between the wheel wells. Hauling plywood and sheet goods (often expensive hardwood plywood) is all too common a task for me, so I made a knock-down platform to allow me to carry them flat above the wheel wells. Being able to lay them flat would be a bonus. But I'm not trading in a new truck for that, esp without a SuperCab option to give me a 6' bed...

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I agree Jack. I am looking at the Raptor unless they do ADMā€™s, then Iā€™m out. I like your ZR2, but not keen on all the issues Iā€™m reading about in ā€œColoradoFansā€ like battery drain, electronics, etc. Also the new Ultifi system is concerning with regard to possibly more paywalls for stuff. I hope they can get it straightened out. I see that they still have an Inmate number assigned to your old account. Lol

BTW, did you see the video that TFL did when they compared 7 midsized trucks in a drag race? I know it means little other than maybe some bragging rights, but they put the 2.3L Ranger up against the

Jeep Gladiator - 3.6L V6 Pentastar
Nissan Frontier - 3.8L V6
Honda Ridgeline - 3.5L VTec V6
Toyota Tacoma - 2.4L I4 Turbo
Chevy Colorado - 2.7L I4 High Output Turbo
Dodge Dakota - 5.9L V8 Magnum
Ford Ranger - 2.3L I4 Turbo

The Ranger beat all these trucks, even the 5.9L V8 Magnum Dakota. I was also surprised that the Coloradosā€™ 2.7 H.O. Lost to the Ranger.

The issues on CF.com, in my opinion, are exaggerated simply based on how internet forums work. Less than 1% of a userbase generally makes up a user forum on large ticket items. Outside of some anomalies, the battery issue for example was a problem with some models produced prior to July 2023 (or something to that effect).

Now I do have some issues others have, a few minor trim fitment issues that are common; under hood cowl & front fender edges, but outside of that its been a flawless experience.

I plan to eventually buy a pedal monster to address that lack of rocket ship feeling. It won't make the truck faster, but at least bring back that sensation, but the fact is my ZR2 base weight is 1,000lbs more than my 19 XLT weight. Can't combat physics like that with out more power. Only performance mod I plan to add is an AEV snorkel (yet to be released) to help it breath better.

Once I get the Tune Outdoor M1 canopy installed any semblance of aerodynamics I have currently will really be flushed down the toilet anyhow. lol

I still think the ZR2 wins in the exterior looks category, with the Raptor next in line.

Last edited:

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
The issues on CF.com, in my opinion, are exaggerated simply based on how internet forums work. Less than 1% of a userbase generally makes up a user forum on large ticket items. Outside of some anomalies, the battery issue for example was a problem with some models produced prior to July 2023 (or something to that effect).

Now I do have some issues others have, a few minor trim fitment issues that are common; under hood cowl & front fender edges, but outside of that its been a flawless experience.

I plan to eventually buy a pedal monster to address that lack of rocket ship feeling. It won't make the truck faster, but at least bring back that sensation, but the fact is my ZR2 base weight is 1,000lbs more than my 19 XLT weight. Can't combat physics like that with out more power. Only performance mod I plan to add is an AEV snorkel (yet to be released) to help it breath better.

Once I get the Tune Outdoor M1 canopy installed any semblance of aerodynamics I have currently will really be flushed down the toilet anyhow. lol

I still think the ZR2 wins in the exterior looks category, with the Raptor next in line.
Yes, I agree. The ZR2 is a good looking truck.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The new Colorado is one sweet looking mid size...

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The new Colorado is one sweet looking mid size...
Oddly enough, to me at least, I find the front end and interior of the GMC version to be really ugly, but for some reason most manufacturers are using the Canyon as the flagship for their new products. I think Victory 4x4 are the only ones so far I've seen using a ZR2.

I think the Canyon has too much of the "I want to be a BMW/Lexus in 2024" grille look going on. The powerplant is identical in both, so the ridiculous grille size was an odd choice. Front end just looks proportionally.... off or something.

1711947230995-b4.png

vs

1711947339756-xe.png

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Paid off g5> new g6 (unless Raptor)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Thought I heard report of 6G Raptors going for $80K?!

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
I still like the look of the 5G much better than the 6G. The 5G has a distinctive look - you know it's a Ranger - the 6G you have to do a double-take - and it is no longer distinctive from other trucks IMHO.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I still like the look of the 5G much better than the 6G. The 5G has a distinctive look - you know it's a Ranger - the 6G you have to do a double-take - and it is no longer distinctive from other trucks IMHO.
the 5G was designed for things like visibility over the hood, not "looks aggressive" or "instakill pedestrians"
Sponsored