Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I still like the look of the 5G much better than the 6G. The 5G has a distinctive look - you know it's a Ranger - the 6G you have to do a double-take - and it is no longer distinctive from other trucks IMHO.
Exactly.

Looks so much like a smaller F 150. Nothing wrong with that really. If I was in the market, I would pick the 6G over the F150. But after almost 4 years and 40K miles the 5G is doing just fine.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
They start at 80k in Canada......No thanks....IF I had the money (which I don't) ...there would be many better options for 80k

1000000608.png
When I picked up my 2019 5G, I eyed the stickers on the F150 Raptors and they were going for around $75K...if $80K is starting price, the out the door is probably closer to $100K or over...nuts...

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
the 5G was designed for things like visibility over the hood, not "looks aggressive" or "instakill pedestrians"
Yup, I like being able to see in front of me. And also just being able to get under the hood without needing a step stool. I'm 6'3", but my neighbor's stock Sierra 2500 hood is almost at my shoulder level. Absurd.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 VW R32/2023 CG XLT Scab FX4 Ranger
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
Looking past that, there are obvious upgrades on the 6G interior that can’t be denied (digital dash/12 inch screen/360 camera/etc….)
But does it have one touch up/down on more than just the D/S window???

200w.gif

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Me too, but I don't think that will happen. And, it'd have to be a scab, so....
Ford recently announced that it will be offering hybrid power trains across its entire Ford Blue lineup for North America. I'm hoping that means the Ranger PHEV is coming to the USA.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
So yesterday I took a drive over to my local big Ford dealership as they have a 6G Ranger STX model in silver. I was surprised at how much taller the front end really is. The hood is flatter with less downward slope than the 5G. It looks more like an F150 because of the sheer size of it. The interior seems to be a bit longer as the driver seat goes back farther. The interior width seems about the same as the 5G. Of course the dash is entirely different with the tall vertical center screen and it seems a bit farther forward over the trans tunnel. I liked the cup holders being alongside the shifter giving it a longer arm rest.
The rest of the exterior actually looks OK with the exception of the grill. I am not sure yet if I like the grill or not. The biggest thing I noticed was the extra space under the hood between the radiator and the engine. Probably for the upcoming 2.7L V6.
I'm sure that it will sell very well but I won't be buying one. I still prefer my 5G that is paid for and only has 20,000 miles on it. My 2019 XLT Lightning Blue is a keeper. :like: :turkey:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV

bsr956

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4; 2013 Nissan Altima

dano42

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Retired!
Exactly.

Looks so much like a smaller F 150. Nothing wrong with that really. If I was in the market, I would pick the 6G over the F150. But after almost 4 years and 40K miles the 5G is doing just fine.
Agreed - the new Ranger looks like it is a "wannabe" F150 - like you couldn't afford an F150, so you "settled" for a Ranger. IMO they are two different creatures and should be developed as such, instead of having one try to imitate the other. I will stick with my 5G as well.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Ford deemed it necessary to only make a crew cab version, so my 5G Scab will most likely be my last Ranger. Have no need and will not buy a crew cab.
Only good thing....my Scab became an instant collectable. In 20 years it will go on Mecum and probably bring a 6 figure bid, where the Screw's will be lucky to bring a 4 figure bid !!!!!:handsinair:

Last edited:

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
So yesterday I took a drive over to my local big Ford dealership as they have a 6G Ranger STX model in silver. I was surprised at how much taller the front end really is. The hood is flatter with less downward slope than the 5G. It looks more like an F150 because of the sheer size of it. The interior seems to be a bit longer as the driver seat goes back farther. The interior width seems about the same as the 5G. Of course the dash is entirely different with the tall vertical center screen and it seems a bit farther forward over the trans tunnel. I liked the cup holders being alongside the shifter giving it a longer arm rest.
The rest of the exterior actually looks OK with the exception of the grill. I am not sure yet if I like the grill or not. The biggest thing I noticed was the extra space under the hood between the radiator and the engine. Probably for the upcoming 2.7L V6.
I'm sure that it will sell very well but I won't be buying one. I still prefer my 5G that is paid for and only has 20,000 miles on it. My 2019 XLT Lightning Blue is a keeper. :like: :turkey:
That lack of a downward slope might be a deal-breaker for us; the wife is 5'2" on a good day, and that downward slope makes all of the difference to her. When the Ranger was in the shop, we had a Bronco Sport as a loaner, and even though it's both smaller and lower than the Ranger, she felt like it was bigger and she had a bigger blind-spot in front because it has a boxier engine bay. It didn't bother me enough to make a difference, but she ultimately decided that she preferred the Ranger to the BS even though she'd been leaning towards the BS when we first went shopping for a new vehicle.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
That lack of a downward slope might be a deal-breaker for us; the wife is 5'2" on a good day, and that downward slope makes all of the difference to her. When the Ranger was in the shop, we had a Bronco Sport as a loaner, and even though it's both smaller and lower than the Ranger, she felt like it was bigger and she had a bigger blind-spot in front because it has a boxier engine bay. It didn't bother me enough to make a difference, but she ultimately decided that she preferred the Ranger to the BS even though she'd been leaning towards the BS when we first went shopping for a new vehicle.
I agree. When I test drove Tacomas before buying the Ranger, the boxy hood did not do visibility any help. I like the front end of the 5G. I like almost everything else on the 6G more though :p

Last edited: