EV Fires Are a Thing, but Not for Long. Honeywell Is Part of the Reason Why.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It looks like Honeywell is looking to develop sensing solutions to detect if there is a problem with EV batteries. It will help in early detection of sensing an overheated battery and warn the driver. This is similar to the sensing units you now have in your refrigerator that signals you that the door has been left open. This would be great as it'll help warn people and save lives. See @CO2Ranger I can post positive EV news. ?

https://www.barrons.com/articles/ev...part-of-the-reason-why-62c5bc57?siteid=yhoof2

Sarah Martin runs Honeywell ‘s Sensing and Safety Technologies business, run out of Texas. The sensing business is part of Honeywell’s safety and productivity solutions segments that generated almost $7 billion in 2022 sales, roughly 20% of Honeywell’s total.

Her business is a global leader in things than provide data on pressure, temperature, humidity, force, gas concentrations, or anything else that needs, well, sensing. “We probably have one of the broadest rage of sensing and switch portfolios that anybody offers,” says Martin.

Switching tech essentially tells someone if the fridge door is open or closed. That’s a low-end application explains Martin. Honeywell focuses on higher technology solutions.

These days, her unit is working with auto makers to develop sensing solutions that help determine if there is a problem with EV batteries. If EV batteries get too hot, a fire can ensue. Honeywell’s current solutions enable early detection, which can save lives. People can get out of the car.
Sensing problems is only the first part of Honeywell’s process. Martin’s rubrik for technology development is identification, prediction, prevention. Eventually, Honeywell technologies should enable auto makers to avoid battery-related problems entirely.

It’s a big opportunity for Honeywell because EVs are growing quickly and because the car industry huge, generating multi-trillion dollars of sales a year. Martin calls the EV opportunity as big a deal for her business as she can recall.
Sponsored

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Probably just like the heat sensors on train wheel bearings. Only good if not ignored. IP will be worth millions alone so I can't blame them for jumping on the EV bandwagon.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Probably just like the heat sensors on train wheel bearings. Only good if not ignored. IP will be worth millions alone so I can't blame them for jumping on the EV bandwagon.
Frankly, I’m surprised that’s not already built-in. Hasn’t this been a known issue for a number of years now?

I hope there’s more technology behind it than this
 ;)

E3FEB5BA-8190-4BBD-9697-8D696D2470DC.jpeg

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Congrats to Dave, you will receive a positive EV post credit which can be used to offset one of the hundreds of negative EV posts, keep up the good work !

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next maybe they could develop the same system for the 284,000 ICE vehicles that catch fire each year ?
Maybe ban the sale of Hyundai and KIA - IIRC they lead the pack in flammable vehicles and advisories to park the vehicle outdoors.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Congrats to Dave, you will receive a positive EV post credit which can be used to offset one of the hundreds of negative EV posts, keep up the good work !
Actually this proves the point that current EV battery systems are not properly monitored for faults that make them go poof. A good reason to avoid them at this point in time.⚠?

Theslim_spaydee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT (she gone) 2022 BD Bronco
Occupation
Finance
Imagine you are 7 miles down a trail and you get the "Fire immanent warning " you get out but you now are the proud owner of the worlds largest roman candle in the middle of a national forest with no cell service to call for the several gallons of water needed to put out just the car.

But that is just the dooms day scenario. I am hopeful the warning would come well before the potential for a fire takes place.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
This is similar to the sensing units you now have in your refrigerator that signals you that the door has been left open.
I thought that was just a timer on the control board triggered by the door switch.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought that was just a timer on the control board triggered by the door switch.
That's gradually being phased out on newer EVs with improved range, no longer a need to alert the driver after 30 minutes that the battery is running low.........

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

That's gradually being phased out on newer EVs with improved range, no longer a need to alert the driver after 30 minutes that the battery is running low.........
I was referring to the refrigerator analogy.
Sponsored