Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
There are so many factors that go into the choice of an electric or hybrid vehicle.

I worked with a guy who bought a tesla. he built and raced cars on the weekend. The only reason he bought the tesla was he had 3 hours of commuting a day, the tesla had self driving and work allowed him to charge for free.

he could do other things on his commute, and it only cost him the car payment and insurance.

thats not how it is for many.

I have said it dozens of times, an electric vehicle is a great vehicle for tooling around town and grocery getting. are they good, or even 'ok' for towing or moving stuff, nope. but I do not know of any electric vehicles that are being sold to consumers that are being sold to replace trucks doing truck stuff.

If I had a long commute, and free charging at work I would buy a small EV tomorrow. heck, you can buy a nissan leaf it has ~ 200 mile range and it is ~375 a month for a 3 year lease with 0 down payment. (why anyone would buy an electric car is beyond me) seems reasonable to me.
Sponsored

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Awesome truck! Is insurance expensive on them? Our second car is a tesla for commuting and the insurance is ridiculous on the thing.
Interesting. We replaced a CX-5 with our '23 Model Y. Insurance went up about a $100/yr, after the policy renewed. About the same amount it went up on the Ranger.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
why 400+ miles?

the ranger doesn't even do that.

not many vehicles with a standard, factory, fuel tank do.
My Ranger does it, when not towing or hauling, approx. 432 mile range.

400+ range is purely subjective. That'd be a competitive advantage, IMO, for manufacturers to out-compete ICEs with longer ranges. It's not an issue with the Ranger, or other cars, because there are tens of thousands of gas stations across the country, so I never think of how far a full tank will take me. We're not quite there yet with charging stations. If they could pump up the range on EVs so I can travel greater distances and worry less about charging, I'd be all in.
It's easy to extend the range of an ICE, a few Gerry cans, or a couple hundred on an auxiliary tank.
Not the 5k to 10k for an extended range battery. I don't know what that is on the F150 Lightning as I don't see it as an option on the Ford website, other than it's standard on Flash and above.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

It's easy to extend the range of an ICE, a few Gerry cans, or a couple hundred on an auxiliary tank.
Not the 5k to 10k for an extended range battery. I don't know what that is on the F150 Lightning as I don't see it as an option on the Ford website, other than it's standard on Flash and above.
I think if I get 300 miles to a tank I am doing good.

I like the skinny pedal, hearing the turbo spool and exhaust growl. lol

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Are you running helium in your tires? :oops:

The best I've ever seen is around 350 miles.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Are you running helium in your tires? :oops:

The best I've ever seen is around 350 miles.
I'm a lightfoot driver.
I've never actually driven that far in one go. I just go off the fuel display. I've been down to 12 miles remaining, then added close to 18 gallons.

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
a long ago, a friend's dad owned a chevy dealer, and he knew I was looking for a car. He kept offering me great deals on this or that, but I really wanted a BMW.

I finally worked up the courage to tell him I'd be buying the BMW, and his response was "that's why they make both chocolate and vanilla ice cream. folks like different things." i was relieved, of course, that he wasn't mad.

in the EV vs ICE debate, especially in the truck domain, one size doesn't fit all. It sounds like folks have their good reasons for one or the other. They are both good at some things, but not all.

maybe someday we'll get one that covers all the bases, but then that would limit product offerings, so it's unlikely.

Hackind

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger ford light in ford expedition
Occupation
Na
With gas up to $3.60 a gallon, I started looking at the F150. Couldn’t believe the prices. I was able to get a ‘23 XLT with the extended range battery for $54K OTD (including the max tow and tow tech pkgs). I’ll miss the old girl…lots of great camping trips, tons of memories these last few years.

IMG_3875.jpeg
How much was it if you traded in your ranger for the lightning what did they by I’ve you for it? And how many miles / trim

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Really glad you are happy with the Lightning! Hope it treats you well. And really really really happy you aren't a Tesla fanboy.

For me? Not understanding the math. So, gas is @ $3.60 in your area. Estimate 20K miles annually, average 20 MPG for a gas cost of $3600. Ranger was paid off, or close, I assume. Lets say you got $30K for the Ranger. So you owed $24K (minus any payoff for Ranger?) to take the Lightning off the lot. Simply using the $3600 annual gas savings cost you are looking at a 6.7 year payback.

But you then need to add in the electrician charge for the house upgrade. Possible annual tax difference due to the value of the vehicles. Insurance cost difference? Now figure the cost of the monthly electrical consumption versus what the Ranger would have used in gas. Increased tire wear and replacement cose due to the weight of EV's versus Ranger. (Based on mine. Already clear that I'll easily get 80K+ miles on the OEM rubber.)

On the positive side, any tax credits available due to being green? (Never mind how the electricity was produced. Got to love politicians.) CA has, or had some nice incentives. Lot of other places, not so much.

Residual value? Can be an unknown can of worms for EV's.

Intangibles. Range limits and resulting aggravation? And trip routing limits due to charging infrastructure? I personally love taking backroads when I travel. (Not with the warden. Drives her nuts.) These two are 100% based on the individual. For me, huge negatives. For others? Nonissue.

Glad it works for you. And very happy it's a Ford! But in my world the numbers just don't jive.
none of the numbers ever added up in my head either, or anything people see as a benefit
it still costs to charge

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Does it not?

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 10.39.38.png
Mine gets 400, I dont know what they put in the gas in Maryland but I got 24 mpg out of that tank
I run Non-Eth normally but not for the MPG, on winter mix in N.Y I can get 20mpg out of 89 shit gas, I get 21.5 mpg out of 93 oct and 22 out of 92 non-eth, that includes towing.
I just dont see why I need Corn in my gas

mpg20_2.jpg

OP
OP
Raja150

Raja150

First Name
Raja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Psychiatrist
none of the numbers ever added up in my head either, or anything people see as a benefit
it still costs to charge
Sometimes it’s not just about the numbers. The Lightning rides like nothing else in its class. I can go 0-60 in 4 seconds!!! After driving it for a couple weeks now, my wife’s Escape feels cramped. I agree that $75K for these trucks was bogus…but with the current deals, it was a no brainer to me. Let’s see how it plays out.

DasBoot

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Occupation
Retired
With gas up to $3.60 a gallon, I started looking at the F150. Couldn’t believe the prices. I was able to get a ‘23 XLT with the extended range battery for $54K OTD (including the max tow and tow tech pkgs). I’ll miss the old girl…lots of great camping trips, tons of memories these last few years.

IMG_3875.jpeg
You are gonna more than miss the ole girl. You are not gonna like the lightning
Sponsored