Transmission work needed at 50,000 per Ford dealer

FirstNewTruck

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Chevrolet S10, 2021 Ranger XL 4wd supercab
I took my 2021 Ranger in for 50,000 mile oil change and service. Service guy came and asked me if I have noticed any problems with shifting in the transmission, at low speeds I think he said. I said no, but then remembered once or twice it seemed to feel like it was binding or locked a bit but went away right away and never came back. Anyway he asked if the tech could take it for a drive and see if they think it has problems or potential problems because the drive train warranty goes to 60,000. I said sure. I also have a 72 month / 75,000 mile extended platinum plan I bought through the same dealer when truck was new.
After driving it, they said it needs a "drum", which turns out to be hub assy I guess. Said they would order parts and would take several days, but they would provide a rental. I got the email yesterday for the "your parts are in, with the following parts:
This is to inform you that the parts you ordered on 02/14/2024 have arrived.
Part Number Description QuantityFilled
HL3Z*7A262*C PISTON 0
JR3Z*7H351*B HUB ASY 0
*W719427*S439 BOLT 0

There is a tremendous amount of labor involved, and I am wondering if it is a good idea, or if others have tried, to talk to the transmission tech and ask him if there are any items like seals, or whatever that should be replace while torn apart at 50,000, but that are not part of this "fix" so they don't talk about them.
I was actually unaware of the 10 speed transmission problems, but have been researching them the past week and of course it makes one nervous. My Ranger is an XL with 4WD, and has been drive probably 75% highway, no off road, and pretty much babies.

Will follow up with results later.
Sponsored

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I took my 2021 Ranger in for 50,000 mile oil change and service. Service guy came and asked me if I have noticed any problems with shifting in the transmission, at low speeds I think he said. I said no, but then remembered once or twice it seemed to feel like it was binding or locked a bit but went away right away and never came back. Anyway he asked if the tech could take it for a drive and see if they think it has problems or potential problems because the drive train warranty goes to 60,000. I said sure. I also have a 72 month / 75,000 mile extended platinum plan I bought through the same dealer when truck was new.
After driving it, they said it needs a "drum", which turns out to be hub assy I guess. Said they would order parts and would take several days, but they would provide a rental. I got the email yesterday for the "your parts are in, with the following parts:
HL3Z*7A262*C PISTON 0
JR3Z*7H351*B HUB ASY 0
*W719427*S439 BOLT 0

There is a tremendous amount of labor involved, and I am wondering if it is a good idea, or if others have tried, to talk to the transmission tech and ask him if there are any items like seals, or whatever that should be replace while torn apart at 50,000, but that are not part of this "fix" so they don't talk about them.
I was actually unaware of the 10 speed transmission problems, but have been researching them the past week and of course it makes one nervous. My Ranger is an XL with 4WD, and has been drive probably 75% highway, no off road, and pretty much babies.

You are fortunate to have a good dealership that has preemptively found your transmission problem for you. If they’re following TSB 23-2350 ( which it sounds like they are) then there will be a long list of items that will be replaced ( see attached). I am betting that the dealers are actually making some money on these repairs and hence the diligence in finding a problem.

Attachments

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
HL3Z*7A262*C PISTON 0
JR3Z*7H351*B HUB ASY 0
*W719427*S439 BOLT 0

Another good question would be how this affects your extended warranty. Will transmission still have the extended coverage after being repaired?

OP
OP

FirstNewTruck

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks much for the service bulletin, and the information. The dealership group (they have many brands in area at separate dealerships) are pretty good, have dealt with their Nissan dealer for years and been treated well. I am hoping for the best. I love the Ranger, and the drive train has been great. It seems like too much stuff in too small of a package to be reliable, but that may be my old guy syndrome acting up. The Boeing 737s and Airbus A320s fly millions of miles and are treated like city buses as far as maintenance, so maybe it is reasonable and possible that Ford can build a 10 speed tranny with all those solenoids and electronics that will last and last...

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
OP has had an exceptional experience. 👍🏼

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I gotta wonder if Ford is trying to be aggressive about replacing the CDF Drum on older 10R80 transmissions. Doesn’t make sense financially and probably makes their warranty numbers look worse, but it serves overall goodwill. Tho the dealers making money off this, as suggested above, makes more sense.

All the feedback I see on these forums and reddit suggest people are quite pleased after that redesigned CDF Drum gets replaced. The new 2024 models all have the updated design (drum redesign supposedly went into effect mid 2023).

Yeah, this is a win for the OP in my opinion. An improved transmission before the warranty goes out, AND you didn’t have to get stranded first.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
There are two thoughts I have about this:
1. Ford has seen the writing on the wall and they are trying to get ahead of a recall and/or trying to put a good face forward.

2. This is a job that pays the dealer and tech a ton of money and the dealership is pushing them through, knowing what words to use to get it approved by Ford, so they can collect on warranty work.

I am betting option 2. Warranty work pays a higher rate than customer sourced repairs. IE: you pay $120 an hour, Ford pays $300 (I don't know the actual amount, obviously, but I do know warranty work pays considerably higher than non-warranty work).

I would love to see coverage for the transmissions extended beyond normal, kind of like Toyota warrantying their frames for an additional 10 years for rust.

OP
OP

FirstNewTruck

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How would I be able to determine if the repair includes the redesigned CDF drum GhostStrykre mentioned in his post? Of course I will ask them when I get the chance, but sometimes getting specific technical answers from the dealer is tricky. Looking at the parts on the Service Bulletin 23-2350 there are a lot of items under the "All Vehicled - CDF Cylinder Replacement", as opposed to almost everything else being "inspect and replace only if necessary".

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
How would I be able to determine if the repair includes the redesigned CDF drum GhostStrykre mentioned in his post? Of course I will ask them when I get the chance, but sometimes getting specific technical answers from the dealer is tricky. Looking at the parts on the Service Bulletin 23-2350 there are a lot of items under the "All Vehicled - CDF Cylinder Replacement", as opposed to almost everything else being "inspect and replace only if necessary".
The CDF drum listed in TSB 23-2350 is the updated one. I doubt any of the previous versions of the CDF drum exist anymore.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
1. Ford has seen the writing on the wall and they are trying to get ahead of a recall and/or trying to put a good face forward.

2. This is a job that pays the dealer and tech a ton of money and the dealership is pushing them through, knowing what words to use to get it approved by Ford, so they can collect on warranty work.

I am betting option 2. Warranty work pays a higher rate than customer sourced repairs. IE: you pay $120 an hour, Ford pays $300 (I don't know the actual amount, obviously, but I do know warranty work pays considerably higher than non-warranty work).

I would love to see coverage for the transmissions extended beyond normal, kind of like Toyota warrantying their frames for an additional 10 years for rust.
Part b of 2 could be that they have a good trans guy who can do the repair in less time than Ford says it should take and they still charge Ford the full time...

It could also be good will in the dealerships part, they recognize there is a problem and are just trying to keep customers happy... Note, I said dealer not Ford...

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

"Ford has seen the writing on the wall and they are trying to get ahead of a recall and/or trying to put a good face forward."

Maybe they should have thought of this before they used us as beta testers instead of fielding a proven product to start with.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
"Ford has seen the writing on the wall and they are trying to get ahead of a recall and/or trying to put a good face forward."

Maybe they should have thought of this before they used us as beta testers instead of fielding a proven product to start with.
We aren't beta testers. Parts failures happen, and defective parts are replaced with updated parts all the time. This just happens to be a large part. Does it suck? yeah. Does Ford need to address it? yeah.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Being out of warranty I am not looking forward to any of this. I wish Ford would own up to admitting there was a problem rather than just coming out with a new spec CDF drum. Hell if they offered to cover the labor I would glad pay for the parts and call the dealer the next day for an appointment. Only thing that has stopped me from trading in my truck is all the parts and time I have put into it. And seeing as how I have 0% interest financing, it’s not worth even trading in for a newer Ranger or next gen.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
This may be an insanely stupid question, but if I connect my OBD port scanner to look at the computer codes via Fordscan, will it delete the codes or leave them in place?

just as I spent money on this truck the transmission big time slipped out of gear in an intersection, revved as if in neutral, then slipped back into gear. Beginning of the end for the transmission I’d say. I wanna check the codes to see if I might be able to get the TSB above implemented.
Sponsored