First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
I think I'm up next. Does anyone have a dealer that they really like in the lower New York or New Jersey area?
So, my truck is at Ford with a new tranny sitting next to it. I gotta go over tomorrow and give them the spline socket to remove my front wheels.

Are there any questions I should be asking them?

B.

diesel924

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
So, my truck is at Ford with a new tranny sitting next to it. I gotta go over tomorrow and give them the spline socket to remove my front wheels.

B.
They love it if you ask if you can watch.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

B.
Ask for the old tranny back...so you can sell it for parts...

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
After suffereing from analysis paralysis for the last year I finally decided on a course of action with my transmission strategy. I think that it is sound and will protect my extended warranty coverage.

I've been sitting on my PPE deep pan for 18 months, worried that Ford would use it as a reason not to honor their warranty if I install it and my transmission problems continue to worsen.

I have 20,200 miles in my Ranger and the transmission has been erratic since about 5K miles. It seems fine for awhile then has bouts of hard shifting. No pattern that I can discern.

I plan to change the fluid without removing the pan immediately, and add Lubeguard Platinum ATF Protectant (1oz / quart of ULV ATF - Thanks ctechbob), then do the same at 5K-10K intervals to see if the problems clear up. If they clear up I will install the PPE pan (and change the filter)... and drive happily ever after!

So I began this afternoon by pulling the fluid out via the MBS Dipstick (aka the "Fitz Stick"). I managed to remove just over 7 quarts of fluid using this inexpensive 12v pump.

I marked a couple of jugs before beginning to insure I had an accurate measurement of just how much fluid came out.

What was surprising to me was just how dirty the fluid was with only 20K miles on it. It is dirtier than fluid that I've pulled from cars with 60K miles on them! Here is a look at what came out of the transmission. That fluid is supposed to be bright red, not black! It is no wonder these transmission are acting up!

2020 Ranger 10R80 Fluid 20,220 miles .JPG

ctechbob has had good results using this strategy. I am hoping for similar results. We'll see soon enoug I suppose.

- T

Last edited:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I've listened to online mechanics rave about the 10R80 transmission. About how bullet proof it is.... if it is put together right with excellent parts, and the software is optimized.

Unfortunately, Ford uses cheap parts, and doesn't optimize for longevity. I foresee a $6K-$10K bill in my future if I decide to keep this truck, even with an extended warranty.

The evidence is clear...
Take a good look at the stock shocks (if you can call them shocks as they damper nothing), the parabolic single leaf springs, the wobbly driveshaft, the funky fan clutch and sensor that is powered by the same fused circuit as 6 other unrelated core functions, or the climate control box that can't withstand heat and warps after you actually use it in the winter. Then there is the wiring (and other parts) that mice see as food, and unprotected openings into the cab that invite mice into a bed and breakfast retreat in your interior.

I would easily trade all the Gee Whiz electronic toys that I do not want or use for a well built truck. The same with power windows and locks. I am happy with using a key to start my truck. I would trade them all for a truck that would last me 350K miles.

I know this can be done. My neighbor has a 2003 Rav 4 purchased new with 354K miles on it and still running like new. No oil burning, no transmission issues, it simply runs. He keeps it garaged, but It looks to be 2 years old inside and out.
Mine drives like a truck! The more off road you use it, the more all the defects are hidden by the bumps, dips, mud, trailers, dents, scratches, and really becomes a good ol truck that impresses all my hd peeps. I have 77k miles driving the ranger and towing and, i really think my tailgate strut assist and my

GEN-Y HITCH

have held the truck together

Screenshot_20231106-231733_Gallery.jpg

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had trucks all my adult life. Mostly Chevys and Toyotas with models going back to the early 60's. The oldest was my 1952 Studebaker.... It drove like a truck!

This Ranger is the most fragile of all of them, by far.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine drives like a truck! The more off road you use it, the more all the defects are hidden by the bumps, dips, mud, trailers, dents, scratches, and really becomes a good ol truck that impresses all my hd peeps. I have 77k miles driving the ranger and towing and, i really think my tailgate strut assist and my

GEN-Y HITCH

have held the truck together

Screenshot_20231106-231733_Gallery.jpg
Impressive. I wish my truck was a robust as yours. I think they cured a lot of the transmission issues by 2022. The CDF drum and some SW issues for sure.

They also updated the the plenum for the heat/AC to correct the warping issue that requires the dash be removed to replace it.

That area looks like Southeast Texas past the Big Pine country (Waco area) or maybe northwest of Ft Worth. I spent 5 years in Shreveport a long time ago. Texas is big and there is a lot of open flat land

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Yep, aluminum just does not hold up to good ol fashioned iron beds and tailgates. And chevys tailgate step, bendy tailgate thing doesn't hold up to work either. But, another 3 years, bailing wire and duct tape, and we will be off to see another new truck christened by its first dent from a cinder block. Just a shame a regular work truck cost more than what they are worth.

Reactions: TJC

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Impressive. I wish my truck was a robust as yours. I think they cured a lot of the transmission issues by 2022. The CDF drum and some SW issues for sure.

They also updated the the plenum for the heat/AC to correct the warping issue that requires the dash be removed to replace it.

That area looks like Southeast Texas past the Big Pine country (Waco area) or maybe northwest of Ft Worth. I spent 5 years in Shreveport a long time ago. Texas is big and there is a lot of open flat land
I am in south texas. A stone throw away from Mexico. The bed does not hold up well to work. And paint is thin. But, do what i can to make it last longer. But in the end, well, we have trucks here, with my family, and we use em as such. Just sad to see em go so high in price when we use them for work. We dont even go offroad yet always find ourselves "offroad"
But yeah, the new stuff at times is a bit touchy, on some country roads we dont even hook up trailer lights because the new stuff wants to do all kinds of stuff when all we want is to hook it up and drive down the road without all the fuss of blind spot backup turned off select trailer size, return to main menu do you want to set gain pic a profile just hook up and go down the road 2 or 3 miles jeesh. Lol

First world problems. I take it as a good sign. I really dont know where i am going with this. Just enjoying life. Lol
Sponsored

Reactions: TJC