Beautiful Pictures

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Tony, those nights out there are amazing.

When we moved out to colorado every said why would you do that, Florida has the ocean. My generic response wasalong the lines of - because here I can walk out of the grocery store and stare out at the mountains, I can see them driving my kid to school. I don't have to be in the mohntains to enjoy the mountains.

Folks would give me a cock eyed look, usually the ones who have lived here for a long time. I'd usually mention for them to look west next time they go for a drive and remember how beautiful it is out here. People overlook beauty so often when it is in their faces everyday.

Our running joke when we're driving or have had a stressful day is one of is will turn to the other and point and say, ohh look there are mountains out here. It's our way of reminding each other there is so much more in this world than whatever we are worried about at that moment.
I lived in Colorado Springs when I served in the USAF (NORAD CMC). I resided on Peterson AFB which then was east of town in the prairie and offered an unobstructed view of Pikes Peak. Every late September I would wake up to find Pikes Peak covered in snow from the treeline up to the summit. One month later the city would get its first snow. Like clock work. It was a beautiful place.

Going up to the summit of Pikes Peak or Mt Evans and simply looking in all directions will take your breath away! I have read that "America the Beautiful" was inspired by the view from the summit of Pike Peak.

Understandable.
Sponsored

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I lived in Colorado Springs when I served in the USAF (NORAD CMC). I resided on Peterson AFB which then was east of town in the prairie and offered an unobstructed view of Pikes Peak. Every late September I would wake up to find Pikes Peak covered in snow from the treeline up to the summit. One month later the city would get its first snow. Like clock work. It was a beautiful place.

Going up to the summit of Pikes Peak or Mt Evans and simply looking in all directions will take your breath away! I have read that "America the Beautiful" was inspired by the view from the summit of Pike Peak.

Understandable.
I spend more time than I should watching youtube about all the places to explore out here and it is just amazing how many gorgeous places there are. And many of the places you can "drive" right up. I look forward to snow melting so I can get out there to some of these higher passes and summits.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spend more time than I should watching youtube about all the places to explore out here and it is just amazing how many gorgeous places there are. And many of the places you can "drive" right up. I look forward to snow melting so I can get out there to some of these higher passes and summits.
If you live on the front range near Colorado Springs, drive the Gold Camp Road towards Cripple Creek / Victor, then just before entering Victor take Phantom Canyon Road out to Hwy 50 just south of Canyon City. Back in the 1970's this was dirt road the entire way. Once on Highway 50 go towards Canyon City. Just as you enter town there is a narrow outcrop rising up several hundred feet that over looks the city. A single lane one way road called Skyline Drive follows the ridge line taking you up over the out crop. Pack a lunch! It was an enjoyable day trip from Colorado Springs. But I have not visited the area in 50 years.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
If you live on the front range near Colorado Springs, drive the Gold Camp Road towards Cripple Creek / Victor, then just before entering Victor take Phantom Canyon Road out to Hwy 50 just south of Canyon City. Back in the 1970's this was dirt road the entire way. Once on Highway 50 go towards Canyon City. Just as you enter town there is a narrow outcrop rising up several hundred feet that over looks the city. A single lane one way road called Skyline Drive follows the ridge line taking you up over the out crop. Pack a lunch! It was an enjoyable day trip from Colorado Springs. But I have not visited the area in 50 years.
We're up between Boulder and Denver.

It is supposed to be a rainy weekend up this way, I will check the weather down that way, maybe that's a trip for this weekend!

Thanks for the idea!

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you get down that way, and make it to Canyon City, The Colorado Maximum Security Prison Museum might be worth a visit! Talk about a wake up call! And Royal Gorge is just north of town. Walking across that suspension bridge is AMAZING.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Aurora borealis last night from Pawnee national grasslands.

The grass isn't really on fire... It just looks like it. šŸ˜‚ It's the morimoto side marker lights.

PXL_20240513_082841184.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20240513_083543326.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20240513_083624559.MP.jpg

Only potato phone pictures... I need to get a nice camera for these sort of images.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I was bummed we didnā€™t get to get out to Pawnee for this. Iā€™ve seen a bunch of pictures and it looked awesome.
It was so peaceful out there. Chilly and breezy, but gorgeous. We only saw 1 other vehicle once we entered the grasslands. And that d-bag drove past us, parked on the side of the road with marker lights and bed lights on, at full speed spraying dirt, dust and gravel all over my pretty truck. šŸ˜‚

We tried to go just down the road but the lights from Boulder, Longmont et Al made it difficult. Even out at Pawnee the lights from Cheyenne were in the horizon...

That's the glow in the bottom left of this picture.
PXL_20240513_083705850.NIGHT.jpg

The lights in the middle at horizon were homes or rigs or something.

We forgot how many stars there really are up there. šŸ˜‚

I should note, these pictures look good on my little 6 in screen, no idea what they look like fullsize....
Sponsored