First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Ops Tech
Well, it took 200 miles, but the needle started moving. I jumped the gun on being worried. I still have 611 miles of range, which means I'll get 800 to this tank, if it stays.
That's awesome! I know the feeling of relief you felt when you finally saw movement! A huge weight off of your mind! Now you get to fully enjoy 37 gallons of freedom!
Sponsored

Maverick494

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Data Engineering Manager
20240126_160101.jpg

I have had mine for about a month, but had to wait for my Dad's new shop to be mostly finished so I can head down there to Nevada and put this bad boy in. Hopefully the lift gets done before the 3rd or 4th of February, but if not we'll do it anyway.

I'll try and make a decent video of the install.

Last edited:

Maverick494

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Data Engineering Manager
20240126_160101.jpg

I have had mine for about a month, but had to wait for my Dad's new shop to be mostly finished so I can head down there to Nevada and put this bad boy in. Hopefully the lift gets done before the 3rd or 4th of February, but if not we'll do it anyway.

I'll try and make a decent video of the install.
So, there's not going to be an install video as it just wasn't feasible. My dad's contractor was just slow as molasses and the lift pillars didn't even get stood up until after I had to start the install. I am on day three of battling Murphy and other interruptions through the process. Here are my thoughts so far:

Install difficulty:

With a lift: Medium - Hard
Without a lift: Hard - Eff all of this

Install time:

With a lift: 6-8 hours
Without a lift: 8 -10 hours

Why? because Long Range America sucks at documentation, install instructions, and their video is only moderately helpful. There is a ton of missing information - The video states that your install kit will come with hose pre-marked.... Nope, none of my hoses were labeled at all so I had to guess about what hose is what and which clamps go with which hoses. In addition to that problem, the PDF is all of 3 pages and the hoses labeled DON'T match the arrows that show where they are supposed to be installed. The video talks about drilling a front hole for the mounting bolt on the driver side, but this is never shown anywhere. There is this random piece of metal with what looks like a hook on it and a nut welded to it.... no idea what this is for. The little plastic vent thing with the rubber gromet is harrowing to install, it's tighter than you can imagine. I could hardly get it to go in.

Given the price of this tank kit, the least they could do is bag each of the small hoses with the clamps associated with them into their own bags. They could then label these bags. They need to fix their crap install docs and show you a step by step install instead of just making you guess and convert metric to inches to figure out which hose might go where. The video is only moderately helpful in terms of any of this.

I got hung up putting the new tank in place because my transmission jack decided to crap itself after I got the old tank out. So I should be able to try and finish the install today - Assuming I can figure out WTF they mean about drilling a hold in the front frame rail.

So, if you take this on you need to know that you are going to be likely flying somewhat blind.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
And this is why Iā€™m glad I held out on ordering one. The pre-order sale and free shipping was enticing, but I wanted to know what I was getting into. Not having instructions to look over at the time was a turn off. And seeing all the issues you guys are having with the install has really made me think twice.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So, there's not going to be an install video as it just wasn't feasible. My dad's contractor was just slow as molasses and the lift pillars didn't even get stood up until after I had to start the install. I am on day three of battling Murphy and other interruptions through the process. Here are my thoughts so far:

Install difficulty:

Install time:

Why? because Long Range America sucks at documentation, install instructions, and their video is only moderately helpful. There is a ton of missing information - The video states that your install kit will come with hose pre-marked.... Nope, none of my hoses were labeled at all so I had to guess about what hose is what and which clamps go with which hoses. In addition to that problem, the PDF is all of 3 pages and the hoses labeled DON'T match the arrows that show where they are supposed to be installed. The video talks about drilling a front hole for the mounting bolt on the driver side, but this is never shown anywhere. There is this random piece of metal with what looks like a hook on it and a nut welded to it.... no idea what this is for. The little plastic vent thing with the rubber gromet is harrowing to install, it's tighter than you can imagine. I could hardly get it to go in.

Given the price of this tank kit, the least they could do is bag each of the small hoses with the clamps associated with them into their own bags. They could then label these bags. They need to fix their crap install docs and show you a step by step install instead of just making you guess and convert metric to inches to figure out which hose might go where. The video is only moderately helpful in terms of any of this.

I got hung up putting the new tank in place because my transmission jack decided to crap itself after I got the old tank out. So I should be able to try and finish the install today - Assuming I can figure out WTF they mean about drilling a hold in the front frame rail.

So, if you take this on you need to know that you are going to be likely flying somewhat blind.
I agree with everything you said. The directions are trash. The hole in the frame is easy. Once you get the tank in the truck, you will see exactly where it needs to be drilled.

And this is why Iā€™m glad I held out on ordering one. The pre-order sale and free shipping was enticing, but I wanted to know what I was getting into. Not having instructions to look over at the time was a turn off. And seeing all the issues you guys are having with the install has really made me think twice.
As is typical, we all like to complain about how bad it is... The tank was worth every penny. I filled up 24 gallons at 500+ miles. I love this tank.

As a side note: The LRA tank interferes with the rear driver mount of the White Knuckle sliders. I ended up having the sliders welded to the frame. The tank DOES work with the 1-piece driveshaft from Tom Woods.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
As is typical, we all like to complain about how bad it is... The tank was worth every penny. I filled up 24 gallons at 500+ miles. I love this tank.

As a side note: The LRA tank interferes with the rear driver mount of the White Knuckle sliders. I ended up having the sliders welded to the frame. The tank DOES work with the 1-piece driveshaft from Tom Woods.
Oh trust me the fuel capacity was one of my biggest issues with the Ranger. I liked that we had another option for a fuel tank. Initially I wasnā€™t 100% for it since I didnā€™t really need that large of a tank. That decision changed when I started really pushing in the direction of a trailer. It would certainly be a plus for my trip to Oregon/Washington in August. But for the price I would expect a lot more when it comes to the instructions.

Thanks for the tip on the WK sliders. When I was looking over the pictures of the tank, I too was wondering if the slider mount would be an issue.

Maverick494

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Data Engineering Manager

Install difficulty:

Install time:

Circling back here. The problem with the frame rail hole not being indicated is relatively minor IF you don't have something you can't see making it so the tank won't quite move forward enough. I am going to send an email to Exit Offroad / Long Range America outlining the issues I see with the kit and some suggestions. It took us an extra 4 lifts into place and back out to figure out what was hitting.

I do have to say that LRA was amazing. The phone number I called got me the person that actually designed the tank, so that was a big plus in my opinion. Here are some things that came in the install kit that were a mystery until way too late - the little round magnet... it's supposed to go in the tank some where, The flat piece of metal with a nut welded to it? it is for that frame rail hole you have to drill to screw into, I am still not sure what the flat black plates which look like they are supposed to fit the u-bolt are for. Mostly small things here, but the PDF document leaves a ton to be desired.

All-in-all it is well worth the time invested to install this.

Hammer40k

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Driving down the hwy at 60 having driven maybe 120 miles since LRT install and the check engine light came on. This should be fun to figure out and Iā€™m 100% sure the dealer wonā€™t help given the aftermarket tank.
Have not pulled codes yet

IMG_1787.png

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Driving down the hwy at 60 having driven maybe 120 miles since LRT install and the check engine light came on. This should be fun to figure out and Iā€™m 100% sure the dealer wonā€™t help given the aftermarket tank.
Have not pulled codes yet

IMG_1787.png
loose hose on the evap canister?

Hammer40k

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
At a bit of a loss for next steps. Pulled codes today and no hoses appear loose/disconnected. ā€œ P04F0- system high load purge line ā€˜Aā€™ performance ā€œ

IMG_1794.jpeg
Sponsored