First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 F100, 2008 Saturn Sky, 2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I'd like to have 3 more inches of seat travel(backwards not upwards), but I see no aftermarket kits to move the driver's seat rearward. One member posted a framework designed to move the seat backwards, but it seems to me that rather than build this framework it would be simpler to use thick steel or c-channel tabs. The tabs would have to be at least 5" long to allow for material around the holes. Is there a reason based on obstructions (besides it not being a Ford engineered design) why I can't simply bolt the seat to the tabs and the tabs to the OEM mounting holes? Has anybody else moved their seat rearward and how did you do it?
Sponsored

OP
OP

carnut122

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'd like to have 3 more inches of seat travel(backwards not upwards), but I see no aftermarket kits to move the driver's seat rearward. One member posted a framework designed to move the seat backwards, but it seems to me that rather than build this framework it would be simpler to use thick steel or c-channel tabs. The tabs would have to be at least 5" long to allow for material around the holes. Is there a reason based on obstructions (besides it not being a Ford engineered design) why I can't simply bolt the seat to the tabs and the tabs to the OEM mounting holes? Has anybody else moved their seat rearward and how did you do it?
74 views and no replies; so there's some interest. I hope to remove the seat tomorrow and I'll assess and take pictures to post. Maybe even get into town to buy some steel and grade 8 bolts?

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 6'6" and have plenty of leg room in mine... If I slide the seat all the way back, my feet don't touch the pedals... How tall are you?

OP
OP

carnut122

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'm 5' 10" and am driving a 2019 with the 5' bed. I'm not sure why mine wouldn't have the same seat travel. I was even getting ready to trade it in on a Colorado.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm 6'6" and have plenty of leg room in mine... If I slide the seat all the way back, my feet don't touch the pedals... How tall are you?
Dorf... glad to know you're driving a Ranger.

1709644929103.png

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I'm 5' 10" and am driving a 2019 with the 5' bed. I'm not sure why mine wouldn't have the same seat travel. I was even getting ready to trade it in on a Colorado.
Iā€™m 6ā€™4ā€ also plenty of room. Seems like something is wrong with yours.

OP
OP

carnut122

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Mine has the manual adjust for the movement. Does yours have a power adjustment?

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm 6'4" and I have a XLT with the manual adjustment. There is just enough room for me. I would not mind another inch of seat travel. I am not a huge fan of GM vehicles, but the new Colorado has way better front seat legroom than the Ranger.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Mine has the manual adjust for the movement. Does yours have a power adjustment?
3" does sound like a lot of difference, even between power and manual seats. I am 5-10 and have plenty of legroom in my 2019 with power seats. Does your passengers seat go back further. Have you checked to see if something is blocking or jamming the track and keeping it from going full back? This is first I have heard of this before now.

OP
OP

carnut122

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Th passenger side goes back the same amount of travel. Maybe it's the difference between the two options?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Th passenger side goes back the same amount of travel. Maybe it's the difference between the two options?
I find that hard to believe. But, anything is possible.

Oddball

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
I agree with the OP, the travel is just enough for me. I am about 6' 1" and I need to have the seat as far back as possible to be comfortable. I'm surprised to read that there are people taller than me who are comfortable!

At least it makes it easy to go back to my seat position after the wife drives the Truck!

OP
OP

carnut122

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Do you have the power adjustment or manual?
Sponsored