Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
This may be a stupid question, but now that I have had the service done, is it going to reoccur after another 30k miles? Or should the above work fixed it permanently (assuming no other damage is done obviously).
Depends.

If it was the failure that everyone seems to be having that they said the new parts fix, you ahouks be good.

Unless the new part that they said will fix the problem really didn't fix the problem....

We really won't know until some of y'all with the repaored/replaced trannys put some miles on it...
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
So I have a PPF deep pan installed, as well as an MBS dipstick, and a one-piece driveshaft. If my tranny starts to act up (it sometimes has a rough shift here and there) will Ford likely tell me to take a hike?

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FX4 (RIP), 21 Tremor, 20 Edge ST, Couple HD's
Occupation
Trophy Husband / "Sanitation Worker" / Army Vet
So I have a PPF deep pan installed, as well as an MBS dipstick, and a one-piece driveshaft. If my tranny starts to act up (it sometimes has a rough shift here and there) will Ford likely tell me to take a hike?
probably.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Fight Ford. These transmission failures are due to poor design and build quality. You didn't break anything. My transmission began acting up with 5,000 miles on the truck!

I have the one piece driveshaft and the MBS dipstick, and those additions have made my Ranger a better truck. I have the PPE pan in the garage waiting to go on.

My neighbor is a NC SHP trooper. He primary state vehicle has had the transmission replaced 3 times in 120,000 miles. He's management now, and goes to the local office. No hard wear and tear on his truck. A new transmission every 40,000 miles is simply unacceptable.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Have 30,000 miles on my 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor. Scheduled a transmission flush at the Ford dealer this past Tuesday. Dropped it off and caught a ride to work. About 30-minutes later, I get a call from the Service Advisor. The tech is wanting to know why I want my transmission flushed as I only have 30,000 miles on the odometer. I tell the Service Advisor the transmission has been shifting hard going from 3rd to 4th so I thought getting new transmission fluid in the transmission may fix the shifting issue. She tells me that the tech can take it for a drive and see what’s going on with the shifting. If there is an issue, they can reprogram the transmission and see if that makes a difference. As it’s covered under warranty, and they’re following the TSB so it’ll be documented, I figured why not.

So, I get a call mid-afternoon. Service Advisor tells me that the transmission is indeed shifting hard. The tech is working on reprogramming the transmission and that, when it’s been reprogrammed, it’ll have to go through the adaptive learning process. She tells me he’ll have it done by 4:30 and I can pick it up then.

So, an hour later I get another call. The Service Advisor asks me if I need my truck. I find this a bit odd and answer a question with a question “Why?” Well, the Check Engine Light came on when the tech did the reprogramming. In order to get it to clear, the BCM needs to be reprogrammed and there’s not enough time to get that done. So, I had to take the truck out Thursday for the reprogramming of the BCM. Just a tip if any of you need to have this done: The tech will need both key fobs to do the reprogramming. If they have only one key fob, start the process, and realize they need the 2nd fob, the truck can’t be moved as the system is locked down. I had to take my other key fob out so they could complete the process.

The truck now shifts better than it did when I drove it off the lot. That being said, I’m well aware of the issues plaguing this transmission. I feel it’s only a matter of time before I start having shifting issues again. This reprogramming was covered under warranty and it’s been documented by Ford. I’ll see where it goes from here…
Curious, do you have a tune on your Ranger?

Bdem62

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Director, Safety Division
Curious, do you have a tune on your Ranger?
I had a Ford Performance Pack tune on the Ranger prior to taking it in for service. I put it back to stock and have kept it there after getting it back from the dealer.

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
I think I'm up next. Does anyone have a dealer that they really like in the lower New York or New Jersey area?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Depends.

If it was the failure that everyone seems to be having that they said the new parts fix, you ahouks be good.

Unless the new part that they said will fix the problem really didn't fix the problem....

We really won't know until some of y'all with the repaored/replaced trannys put some miles on it...
Mine was replaced at 95K...I'm at 120K and less than one year into the 3 year unlimited mile warranty...we shall see...I'm hoping I got a 23 crate unit and not the first gen...

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was replaced at 95K...I'm at 120K and less than one year into the 3 year unlimited mile warranty...we shall see...I'm hoping I got a 23 crate unit and not the first gen...
As a reminder, my 23 is hard shifting a d holding gears already... ~22k...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I've listened to online mechanics rave about the 10R80 transmission. About how bullet proof it is.... if it is put together right with excellent parts, and the software is optimized.

Unfortunately, Ford uses cheap parts, and doesn't optimize for longevity. I foresee a $6K-$10K bill in my future if I decide to keep this truck, even with an extended warranty.

The evidence is clear...
Take a good look at the stock shocks (if you can call them shocks as they damper nothing), the parabolic single leaf springs, the wobbly driveshaft, the funky fan clutch and sensor that is powered by the same fused circuit as 6 other unrelated core functions, or the climate control box that can't withstand heat and warps after you actually use it in the winter. Then there is the wiring (and other parts) that mice see as food, and unprotected openings into the cab that invite mice into a bed and breakfast retreat in your interior.

I would easily trade all the Gee Whiz electronic toys that I do not want or use for a well built truck. The same with power windows and locks. I am happy with using a key to start my truck. I would trade them all for a truck that would last me 350K miles.

I know this can be done. My neighbor has a 2003 Rav 4 purchased new with 354K miles on it and still running like new. No oil burning, no transmission issues, it simply runs. He keeps it garaged, but It looks to be 2 years old inside and out.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've listened to online mechanics rave about the 10R80 transmission. About how bullet proof it is.... if it is put together right with excellent parts, and the software is optimized.

Unfortunately, Ford uses cheap parts, and doesn't optimize for longevity. I foresee a $6K-$10K bill in my future if I decide to keep this truck, even with an extended warranty.

The evidence is clear...
Take a good look at the stock shocks (if you can call them shocks as they damper nothing), the parabolic single leaf springs, the wobbly driveshaft, the funky fan clutch and sensor that is powered by the same fused circuit as 6 other unrelated core functions, or the climate control box that can't withstand heat and warps after you actually use it in the winter. Then there is the wiring (and other parts) that mice see as food, and unprotected openings into the cab that invite mice into a bed and breakfast retreat in your interior.

I would easily trade all the Gee Whiz electronic toys that I do not want or use for a well built truck. The same with power windows and locks. I am happy with using a key to start my truck. I would trade them all for a truck that would last me 350K miles.

I know this can be done. My neighbor has a 2003 Rav 4 purchased new with 354K miles on it and still running like new. No oil burning, no transmission issues, it simply runs. He keeps it garaged, but It looks to be 2 years old inside and out.
toy-car-crash-exploded-fxg7nt5s6ecjjvza.gif