First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Retired
That is fine R_B but what about right now?
It is still working ok. No problems. But I do connect a CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger after letting the truck cool down since it sits for a week or more at a time.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
My Weize battery showed up on time and fully charged. It is made in China and has a string of numbers stamped on it, but I cannot figure out the date of mfg. But the price was certainly attractive.

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
dtech - Mine also came last Saturday, but I was volunteering for an event and I have not yet opened the box.

I opened it just now to look on top but I have not pulled it out of the box. I'm not ready to install as I am waiting for the H7 size heat shield to fit on my XLT.

Since you purchased from Weize directly they'll know your purchase date for warranty purpose. You can email them here about warranty date: [email protected]

Last edited:
Reactions: R_B

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine earlier this week as well. I haven't installed it as I haven't seen any evidence my original battery is failing - but at 4 1/2 years, I'm expecting to need it any time. It looked like a good unit - it was certainly well packed.

Couldn't pass up the deal.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got mine earlier this week as well. I haven't installed it as I haven't seen any evidence my original battery is failing - but at 4 1/2 years, I'm expecting to need it any time. It looked like a good unit - it was certainly well packed.

Couldn't pass up the deal.
The weight (50lbs) checks out for a 850 cca battery, wonder if lead acid batts is another area that China will undersell the established battery mfg, IIRC the Trump administration put tariffs on Chinese made autos and some auto parts but likely not lead acid batteries.
In my last 2 trips in the CO high country I've received system shutting down to conserve battery messages in the am - and the BMS has been disconnected for over 2 yrs.
Just back from hunting trip and our group scored a 600 + lbs bull elk, I was just a few minutes late from having a shot at 4 cows the bull was hanging with.

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
I have also been getting the "shutting down to save battery" messages.
Since I had to use my truck in a volunteer event Oct 8th I threw it on the charger beforehand.

The first charger I used was the Harbor Freight automatic charger. Set it to AGM, AUTO and let it charge. After it finished I tested the battery with a separate battery tester and it showed only around 80%.

I then used the old school "dumb" charger. I set it for 10 amps and let it charge for another hour or so. Afterwards it tested pretty good, like 96%.

So then I took the truck for a drive. Let it warm up a bit and then tried to see if auto start/stop would work. The on screen menu was set to the screen where it states "Auto Start/Stop Active". When I came to a stop and pressed the brake the screen instantly changes to "Auto Start/Stop Battery charging".

I don't have any trouble starting the truck, even after it's been sitting for a while. I have another vehicle and the truck has on occasion sat over a week and a half and still starts just fine.

So I think I will ride it into the Winter and see if it's condition worsens and then I'll throw in the the Weize battery when needed. I'll wait for my larger heat shield to arrive and stow it and the Weize battery in the basement.

So I'm kind of in RelandRanger's mode. Deal was too hard to resist and I have the feeling my battery is not going to last much longer.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have also been getting the "shutting down to save battery" messages.
Since I had to use my truck in a volunteer event Oct 8th I threw it on the charger beforehand.

The first charger I used was the Harbor Freight automatic charger. Set it to AGM, AUTO and let it charge. After it finished I tested the battery with a separate battery tester and it showed only around 80%.

I then used the old school "dumb" charger. I set it for 10 amps and let it charge for another hour or so. Afterwards it tested pretty good, like 96%.

So then I took the truck for a drive. Let it warm up a bit and then tried to see if auto start/stop would work. The on screen menu was set to the screen where it states "Auto Start/Stop Active". When I came to a stop and pressed the brake the screen instantly changes to "Auto Start/Stop Battery charging".

I don't have any trouble starting the truck, even after it's been sitting for a while. I have another vehicle and the truck has on occasion sat over a week and a half and still starts just fine.

So I think I will ride it into the Winter and see if it's condition worsens and then I'll throw in the the Weize battery when needed. I'll wait for my larger heat shield to arrive and stow it and the Weize battery in the basement.

So I'm kind of in RelandRanger's mode. Deal was too hard to resist and I have the feeling my battery is not going to last much longer.
Yeah, I don't want to replace it before I have to, but it was an incredibly good deal. For me, it was basically free as I used rewards points! I'm always a bit wary of how winters can hammer a battery - so now I'm prepared.

Thanks so much for posting the deal!

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
In case anyone is wondering, I ran my battery tester on The Weize battery as it arrived.

12.77 Volts and 2.91 milliohm internal resistance. 100% overall rating.

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
BTW dtech - Fully envy your Elk outing. I did remote work in Wyoming for several weeks and drove and flew all over that area. Elk everywhere. Rock Springs Airport has mounted game as decoration! I loved that town.

Nothing but deer near me. The other night I was sitting on the patio. It was dark, around 8pm. All the sudden two deer come out of nowhere, running very fast. The lead deer jumped through through a nearby hedge. Couldn't tell if it was a buck or a doe because it was moving so fast (but it was most likely a doe).

However, the chasing six pointer Buck stopped, dead in it's tracks, about twenty feet from me. We had a long stare down. About 20 seconds. The whole time I'm thinking "Well, if push comes to shove, I'm sitting on a wrought iron chair - I guess I can go into lion tamer mode!"

He eventually snorted and took off back into the woods.

Problem is I couldn't shoot him if I wanted to. I'm in a residential area. The township does not cull the deer, and most of them get hit by cars on a nearby four lane road. The sad part is that Lyme's disease is a big problem around me. I had gotten it and it was treated early. But I know of at least five close friends who were not so lucky and had it chronically.

Anyway dtech, I really envy where you live.

BTW, I received my larger Lariat battery cover. It was a little pricey at $30 for what it is.
But, like I said, I'm going to wait for full failure of my OEM battery this winter before swapping in the new one.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm skeptical about the effectiveness of battery covers, although I have both a batt cover and an engine cover I'd pick the engine cover if I had to choose.

Yeah Lyme disease is bad, IIRC cases are on the rise, don't know if that's attributable to more people getting outdoors or if they can do a better job diagnosing it now. Yrs back we had one guys father hunt with us, he was in his 80s and in very good health, then things went downhill with him and he passed, eventually they figured he had Lymes. Same with a guy I know his early 60s, has a lot of chronic rheumetoid arthritis that is caused by Lyme disease. Deer are know to carry the infected ticks.

The national elk refuge is in the Jackson Hole area, my son lived up that way for several yrs and I recall he was never lacking for elk meat.

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
Well.. they say that heat is what kills batteries over the long run, So I went for the larger Lariat heat/shield cover. Plus I like to keep things stock looking.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I'm skeptical about the effectiveness of battery covers, although I have both a batt cover and an engine cover I'd pick the engine cover if I had to choose.

Yeah Lyme disease is bad, IIRC cases are on the rise, don't know if that's attributable to more people getting outdoors or if they can do a better job diagnosing it now. Yrs back we had one guys father hunt with us, he was in his 80s and in very good health, then things went downhill with him and he passed, eventually they figured he had Lymes. Same with a guy I know his early 60s, has a lot of chronic rheumetoid arthritis that is caused by Lyme disease. Deer are know to carry the infected ticks.

The national elk refuge is in the Jackson Hole area, my son lived up that way for several yrs and I recall he was never lacking for elk meat.
A Buck walked right into my shooting range last Saturday, no joke. Too bad it's not November 15th yet.

I have been meaning to go down the Cryptolepis Sanguinolenta rabbit hole. Some guy wrote a whole book on it called "treating Lyme" iirc. If it works as intended I will be adding it to my stockpile. I get ticks all the time.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Great price! The AGM battery that Ford replaced on warranty last year would have cost me $223.95 installed out the door... :frown:

Replacement battery.jpg

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well.. they say that heat is what kills batteries over the long run, So I went for the larger Lariat heat/shield cover. Plus I like to keep things stock looking.
heat can be a major factor or the major factor, in the case of Ford the design of the BMS can also be a major factor - much discussed here and varies on how the vehicle is operated.

I drove Saabs for decades and they mostly relied on a long in the tooth engine originally developed by Triumph, updated over the yrs but in the 9-5 models the engines operated at high temps to enhance mpg, the underhood temps upon shutdown spiked well beyond the temps that promote sulfation, esp in the summer in a closed garage. When GM bought Saab an attempt was made to reduce warranty battery failures by installing a molded plastic battery cover with a air duct running to the front grill, this cover encased the entire battery. Generally it failed because it did nothing to control underhood temps after shutdown. Batteries were often replace every 3 to 4 yrs. I lowered the set point of the radiator fans, opened the hood and left my garage door partially open after driving the vehicle, these actions resulted in batteries lasting much longer.
I'm really skeptical that Ford's thin battery cover does much of anything to increase batt longevity whilst disabling the BMS and using a desulfator has been effective.

TomSim

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
It looks like a Prime day deal but you order it through the Weize website:
https://www.weizeus.com/

It will show $139 but the discount was applied upon checkout.

That is a good price, considering Walmart AGM is $179.

I have no experience with Weize, but I guess I'm going to find out. 36 month warranty.
My 2019 Ranger battery is starting to go.
did you have to change any settings within the trucks computer so that it recognizes the fact that this is a new battery?
Sponsored