5g vs. 6g comparison

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
For offroading purposes it would be interesting to compare the views over the hood of the two vehicles.
We can safely presume any net decrease in downward hood slope has a corresponding decrease in # feet of ground or near-ground visibility.

Major news channel, might’ve been CBS 60 Min, showed this problem. It was shocking how far out a younger child sized person (4-5’ tall) is completely unseen from the driver’s perspective on modern trucks, namely full size with squared off hoods/grills. Might’ve been nearly 10’ out. Certainly 5-6’ out.

You won’t see a 6 yr old standing in front of you many feet away from your front bumper. Scary thought. Not good for offroading, either.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
We can safely presume any net decrease in downward hood slope has a corresponding decrease in # feet of ground or near-ground visibility.

Major news channel, might’ve been CBS 60 Min, showed this problem. It was shocking how far out a younger child sized person (4-5’ tall) is completely unseen from the driver’s perspective on modern trucks, namely full size with squared off hoods/grills. Might’ve been nearly 10’ out. Certainly 5-6’ out.

You won’t see a 6 yr old standing in front of you many feet away from your front bumper. Scary thought. Not good for offroading, either.
True, you might not see them but the parking sensors, front and rear, will activate if there is anything in front or behind you. Not sure if they are featured on all models, but they are on my XLT and they work very well.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
I had a 5G and now drive a 6G. Although the hood is less round, I don't feel like there is any less visability. I've seen a few pictures of the two trucks side by side and the fronts of the hoods look like they are essentially the same height from the ground.

Here's a picture I stole from the 6G forum.
test18.jpg

https://www.ranger6g.com/forum/threads/24-ranger-xlt-vs-21-ranger-tremor.9342/#post-161512

I guess the 5G could be leveled or have bigger tires, but the visibility difference is negligible. Most of the You-Tube review mention that the visibility is good. I think 60 Minutes would find these two equal on their murder index.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joeiconic

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I guess the 5G could be leveled or have bigger tires, but the visibility difference is negligible. Most of the You-Tube review mention that the visibility is good. I think 60 Minutes would find these two equal on their murder index.
That 5g is a Tremor, so it would be a little taller than a non Tremor 5g.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Yeah, it's all camera tricks. Notice the 6G is always the closer of the two.
Ford is homogenizing their trucks appearances so this is no surprise. The 5G still has enough styling options to keep it stylistically modern if that's a goal.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this was covered in here...but are the 5G and 6G cabs the same? Wondering if the rear window is the same.... some will know where I'm going with this..:sunglasses:
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc